• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi Ed,
I know this is Cat time for you, but I am already thinking about fall walleyes. I understand that you are the authority for big pigs on the Red. I have never fished it before and was hoping for some general advice. When is the best time of fall to come for big pigs? Where are a couple of good spots to try and how do I find close boat ramps. I don't want any secret spots, just a place to get started. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks
James

Most spring walleye tactics work just as well in the fall. September tell late November that is what I consider sumo piggy walleye time.

I do a lot of night fishing for the walleye and that is something that is best experienced then explained.

You need to scout areas before dark, or you will be frustrated fast, it isn't all that easy to fish rivers at night.

1- Think jigs and large minnow style crankbaits.

2- Read up on night cranking for fall walleye and that will help you a lot in your search for a #12 or better sumo walleye.

3- More often then not that ><sUMo> fish will NOT be in deep water. Deep or shallow are abstract definitions when your talking rivers, deep may be 6' and shallow 1', then again deep may be 40' and shallow 10', the situation will dictate the definition.

Beyond that I would recommend booking a trip, there is a lot more to it and being there is what it's all about.

I don't give away locations for many reasons. The biggest one is they are not just my locations and the folks that also fish them would hang me, so mum's the word.

wink.gif

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Thanks Ed,
I think it would be fun to book a trip, but do you have any sautdays left in early-mid october? Anyway I understand about keeping the real estate hush, in fishing that is by far the biggest factor to get a chance at success. Just curious, I don't know much about the system, where to these large fish come from, I am told they run into the rivers in the fall and stay until after the spawn. It doesn't seem like there is much for trophy class lakes feeding that stretch of the Red, and they can't be down from Winnepeg can they?

On the Canadian section they run up stream from Lake Winnipeg tell they reach the dam at Lockport. The Canadian section is very good and timing is EVERYTHING to get into the big fish. The 3rd week in September is a key time frame but it can range from then to the middle of October. So far I have yet to get a walleye over #13 up there, maybe someday I will hit the #19 Mondo sumo piggy jackpot up there?

I fish the US Red mostly for fall walleye. From the headwaters to the Canadian border there are a LOT of BIG walleye, a lot!

You are right there are few trophy class walleye lake systems that are connected to the Red. Soooo....yup...they live here all year long, wondering and eating. They are true trophy class sumo piggy river walleye and show it in their build and size. My biggest so far is 15.5 (C&R) but I had a much bigger piggy boat side, and choked. I am certain a #20 class MONDO Sumo piggy lurks in the Red! A #18 or #19 is a certainty in years to come!

Both the MN DNR & the NDG&F are considering the Red the most likely place to get that #20 class in the region.

So...what the heck...it might as well be me is what I say! If not me then I would be just as happy to see a client get her, almost.

grin.gif

"If" I ever do, I plan to C&R her after documenting it. By law if I do that I may get wrote up for detaining a fish and releasing her latter, but it would be worth the fine to me if she were healthy.

We will see a #20 or better from the Red, I am certain of it! I know they are there.

I see the 5th and 19th are open as of today in October. The 19th is in the full moon cycle. Drop me a email if your interested.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 07-12-2002).]

That is impressive that they are resident sumos, why don't I hear much about chasing them in peak season early June, when most walleye go on the binge. If they are present they must be feeding year round and especially in early june? I noticed you did not mention a response to a guide trip a saturday in october, are you all booked?
Thanks

Spring bite is a pre-spawn bite, that is in early to mid Apral, then a fair bite after they recover from the spawn.

After that the walleye go "Poof" and disapear tell early fall. I don't target them in the summer very much as I am busy hunting cats.

The summer walleye bite is often hard to pinpoint and not a very consistent one. I would be BSing clients to say I could likely get them on trophy walleye in the summer, so I skip it. The spring and fall is trophy walleye time.

I did list a couple of free dates, the 5th and 19th of October are open, as of today.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Spring is often a pretty hairy time on the Red River of the North as well. Your lucky to have navigable water in the spring most times. Watch the news - spring flooding is a way of life in that valley, and mark my words, it'll only get worse until they turn around the cycle of field drainage in the valley.

Wadaya mean spring flooding?

We have been over flood stage 3 times this summer alone, and it is over it again now.

Ya your right, something needs to change on the basin and flash run off farming is one of them things for sure!

High stable water is not to bad of a deal for fishing you just need to adapt. Up-down, up-down-up-down is kinda a bummer, it mess's with everything and keeps you really working to keep on the fish. High water years in my experence mean big fish, so I can deal with it I guess. wink.gif

One thing I love about river is change, change is good, as long as you learn to change with it.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Ed,
I need it to be on a Saturday, hard to get time off during the week. Too bad we could not pin down a date, I would like to take a trip with you though, maybe next fall or spring. I was thinking about going to selkirk, and Traverse bay, do you know anything about fishing up there?

Yup, I fish up there fairly often. Mostly for cats and the ocasional walleye trip in the fall.

I guide in the US only, if your seeking a guide for up there I would recomend you check in with dkiazyk on the RED River forum.

Myself, I find good numbers and size for walleye here in the USA portion of the Red. So I spend most of my fall on spots I know will produce, that way I am up on whats up. The more ya go the more ya know.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Ed or others,

Can you recommend a landing where I can put my boat in the Lockport and Selkirk area? Is the better fishing generaly close to the **** or a few miles down the river? Best presentions, depths?

Thanks
P.S. Ed I will definitly have to book a trip with you on the red, do you prefer spring or fall for a true big eye. I will be releasing her either way!

There is a landing at the Selkirk Park and one at the Dam at Stu's place.

Both charge a few bucks per day (Cheap though) to use them unless your staying at Stu's then it is free with the room.

Depending on where the bite is and where your staying I guess whould determine the best one to use. Both are good spots to start from.

You never relly know where to start with tell you get there and see whats up. The walleye move in and out a lot in the fall. Cats are a good bet to be in the first 1-4 miles from the dam most of the season. Start shallow and work deep for cats early and late think shallower.

If you plan to fish the dam all day maybe the Cats on the Red landing would be best? Not much parking there and it can fill up fast. The Selkirk Park is a bigger area and often very busy on weekends, it is a trade off I guess? If you are camping the Park would be the best spot.

Keep your eyes and ears open and don't be shy about asking whats up at the bait shops in town.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

A very interesting discussion. The only thing I'd add to what you've said is that many who've fished the Red and Winnipeg rivers for years feel that on a year like this one... with the higher water and all..... the walleye will be better than average this fall on the Red. I guess it it's a matter of the increased current drawing in fish from the lake...

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]