• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dirty Mean & NASTY Green Deer Flys!!

AH.........MAN!

Bugs suck Eh.... But Green Deer Fly’s by the thousands.........that just BITES MAN!

6:30 AM New Can of Deep Woods Off.
12:40 PM New can empty time to go home, fast!

Yup, them short-lived neon green man-eating deer flies are out in full force. They freaking amaze me man?

You buzz down river at 28 mph and never see a one, not even one green bugger on the boat floor, and then you stop. Before you get to the anchor rope the green menace is all over you by the thousands.

Forget the anchor, you must first franticly spray every inch of exposed skin with a thick greasy layer of bug spray to the point that if they didn't become discouraged, they are sure to drown in the oily crap. Now all you can do is pray they leave. They do often leave but only utile you move again, then the whole process starts over again.

They are a dump ass bug, although what they lack in smarts they more then make up for in tenacity. Their bite is by far the meanest of any fly I have seen! I think the rotten buggers chomp down and shake their mean green heads like tiny green winged pit bulls?

They are like the creature in the movie "PREDITOR",………. "they only come in the hottest years"......I wonder if I need to Nuke them to get rid of them too? Maybe I can get the GOV Jessie V to warm up old "Painless" and smoke a few of those green buggers for me?

Anyhow..........BEWARE THE GREEN MENCE!

Be prepared to do battle with the buggers if you wonder the river in the days to come.

The good thing is their hunting season is short and they die off in a week or so. Then we should be just battling the skeeters after dusk again, them I can handle.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Them neon buggers are still around, not near as bad as before.

You find a few here and there but overall it is tolerable now. Their life cycle must be comeing to a end for this year? Can't say I will miss them any.

Skeeters are out in force at dusk and dawn all they take is a bit of 3-M Ultrathon and your in good shape.

That Ultrathon is great stuff! I disslike useing the spray repelants and the 3-M Ultrathon lotion works much better with far less exposure to the skin and lungs. It stays put longer with less reapplying, plus no burn or sting in the heat. Good stuff!

Bugs I guess go with summer so all we can do is manage them the best we can.

Bugs are a reminder to us that we still fit in the food chain, if we like it or not.

wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Ed,

What's the word from the river? I haven't been out in a while. I went up to LOW for the 4th and got rained and blown off the lake- never actually wet a line. Are the cats done spawning down here? I'd guess they are about done. Also, up North- are the cats post-spawn up there? Sounds like the action is fast and furious up there, but I wasn't clear if they have yet to spawn in those waters of if they're already done doing so.
What's the skinny?
Scoot

It is post spawn here for sure.

Up North I guess they are very close to spawn if they do spawn this season? My guess is they are seeing a pre-spawn feeding binge at this time?

Water levels are high up North so the cats will need some time to reach the ideal temps to head for the big marsh to spawn. That marsh is HUGE so the piggys have lots of room to seek out bullrush dens or wallows. Should be as soon as the river hits 70-72 on a daily basis is my best guess?

I am speculating on the spawn up North as I have not been there recently to know for sure. This season has a lot of variables that may change things for the piggys up North. You can see a hot bite and then ...nota...ZIP...all gone bye-bye for a week to 12 days.

As for our local cats, time to piggy party!

wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I'm planning a trip up to Selkirk in early August- with any luck it should be post spawn up there by then, huh?
I hate to start this game up, given our last results, but any days that look good for you in the upcoming weeks? I have something planned for every weekend of July and the first weekend of Aug., but during the week I'm free to head out by late afternoon to early evening if you're interested and able. Let me know a time that works for you when you haven't been on the water for too many days in a row. I'd like to plan a little bit more about that idea you had regarding my dad. If you give me a few days warning he might even be able to join us if he's not up at LOW fishing for eyes.
Scoot

Early August should be post spawn for sure up there. I sent you a email that might be interesting for you to read up on what is up right now. I plan to be up there from the 10th to the 19th of August.

Mid week I am free this week, most of this week really. Let me know when and where and who's rig and we can piggy hunt up a few.

Best time to catch me at home is late in the evening, like after 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

What does your schedule look like tomorrow? I'm free at the same time again.

Let's plan on tomorrow- same time, same place. If something doesn't look like it'll work, call me at home (476-1850), e-mail me, or leave a message here.
Scoot

Ed,

I checked the river tonight and it doesn't look good. The water's really up and it's very much like chocolate milk. I think we'd be wise to postpone until maybe next week. Also, I got some flack for screwing up my wife's schedule so that's another reason to postpone (can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em!)
Anyway... what's the schedule look like for next week?
Scoot

Darn weather, well I have some clients to work around next week so we will have to see what the river looks like latter in the week?

You keep the boss happy this week and we will see how next week looks.

Sounds like a plan.
Did you ever get the feeling that "the powers that be" don't want us to fish together? Crappy luck combined with my crappy schedule have seriously put the kibosh on any plans we make.
Scoot

As long as it keeps raining we will have a lot of river to fish, eventualy we will get out.

I may wonder today as check on the flash food bite?

I will let you know how it went.

Ed