• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Mark or any Fly Fishermen

well I have had an interest in fly fishing for a few years and Im thinking of giving it a try. Do you guys have any pointers or good references on fly-fishing? any info is greatly appreciated. Also where can I learn about all the different lines and fly's that are out there?
Thanks, Shawn

Wow you wrote a mouth full. So...where do you want to start. Practical or book- tical.
I could spend about an hour typing here about fly fishing, but I will make it brief.

well i must say practical, I notice all the different weight rods and different taper lines, all sorts of flys dry and wet, it seems like so much, where does one start?
Shawn

Rods and reels. They are listed by a number or weight a #10 weight is heavier then a #5 weight. For panfish and trout you need a #5/6 or a 6/7. Match the fly line to the rod weight. A wf6f flyline means a weight forward (wf) #6 (for a #6 weight fly rod) floating (f) fly line. I use a 5/6 for trout fishing and currently using a 9/10 fir fly fishing for pike.

Reels are the same as fly rods just look at the line ratings for the reel or what it can handle. The best way to start is go to walmart and buy a 19.95 fly rod kit. Read the instruction. If you need some help, i could give you a demo down on the red. the hard part is casting. I could type the instuction, but it's a matter of doing, practice, fowling up, cussing, and repeat.

Flies come in all differnet shapes sizes colors, texitures, materials etc, etc. What's the best to begin! A gold hook and worms fishing for bluegills at brewer lake to be honest. Learn the cast, hook set leaders lengths, basic knots and how to unravel yourself after you have mummified yourself in line and leader.

ALSO anyone else that wants to learn. I'll be glad to help. No charge. Just a can of soda pop!!

[This message has been edited by saintmark (edited 06-18-2002).]

sorry this is in pieces but my computer got "bugged" last week.

After you get the hang of setting up, casting,unraveling, and cussing then fly selection is next. You have to pick your fish. From bluegills to saltwater tarpon fly fishing is great. I've caught 1000's of trout 100's of bluegill and lost a monster pike on memorial day. It's a fun sport Just practice, practice. Need more help. the web has casting medias. Check the library. Don't buy anything because a 1970's fly casting film is as good as a 2000 dvd.

And if Backwater eddy is looking at this I haven't forgot you. When are the mayfly hatches on the red. I still got a couple of mayflies for you if you want them.
Perhaps you could try some mayflies on the red for them piggies. As for me, I fish for pike mainly. I'm nit smart enough for walleye or cat fish or them other smart ones.

Again good luck...If you want some help, I'm usually avaiable in the evenings. I'll be fishing at LOTW the beginning of july. Pike on the fly. Should be a rush!! Saintmark

Early this week we had a hatch, more to come I am sure. Sunday night or Monday night I think, they were poppig out and the fish went nuts.

Watch for the hatch to hit at dusk and the wildest action is at the first few hours of the hatch. In the early morning you may find the best shot at cats cleaning up the leftovers from the hatch. They feed all night on them actively on the surface. This mess's up the normal catfish routine so that is why the hatch gets a bad rep, you only need to adjust your presintation and then you will catch cats. Walleye will also key in on it, everthing does.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-19-2002).]