• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am new to the Moorhead area and am wondering where the best place alnong the river is to fish from shore for some pig eyes. Any help will be well appreciated!

Phish On

First thing, Read up on the spring conservation regulations on the slot limit, and be sure to understand them well! The river is being monitored closely.

2 - Walleye under 18”.
0 – Walleye between 18 & 28” Minatory release!
1 – Over 28” if you chose to keep a wall-hanger.
Not a combo of 3 under if you do not get lucky and get a wall-hanger eye!
All pike over 27” must be released, the limit is 3 a day.

Bring a tape and know how to legally measure fish.
From the tip of the nose, to the tip of the tail as it is PINCHED TOGETHER!

Work the dams. Pick up a phone book and see the map inside and look for the parks. The North Dam is near the Toll bridge on the North side of town. The middle dam is at dike east in down town, and the South dam is near River Oaks point.

Try the North Dam, the Middle Dam and the South Dam first. Look for reduced current areas and try slip rigs or floats rigs near shore, they are producing the best overall at this time.

Large minnows on floating jigs on bottom will do well.

Stay away for the center of the river, the fish are in tight to shore near structure. All you will find out in the middle are snags at this point in time.

The water is COOL yet, the fish are not too aggressive.

Think like this, if you had to walk into the cold wind were would you walk? Now apply that and compare that to the travel patterns walleye will likely take moving up river to the dams.

If you see others who do not understand the spring regulations be sure to point them out and if the disobey anyway, report there @$$.

The number is on the fishing license if you need it.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Thank you very much for the info, I would not keep any anyways I have plenty of fish to eat from LOW this winter and also plenty of Red LAKE Crappies. I just wanted a place to take my daughter to catch some as she love it! And it is a lost easier not in a boat. Again thanks for the info, and I will keep an eye out for thoose who do not abide by the rules. Also one last ques. Is it open in North Dakota right now to fish walleyes? I live in Moorhead and It is closed, but I never checked about the season for the river but as soon as i leave this chair I will!!!
tanks
phish on

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 06-27-2003).]