• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
flyfshrmn

Ice fishing in Fargo-Moorhead

flyfshrmn

Are there walleye in the Red in the F-M area?Where is a good spot to try, and what do I use? No luck in the 2 times I've been out this season, however I'm just using lake tactics, so I don't even know if I'm doing things right.
Pete

I have always wondered about iceing the Red myself. Is there any ice around that is even thick enough to walk on? How is the water clarity? I heard the river water really clears up in the winter.

What kind of depths or structure do you look for walleye?

Pete- I might have a spot to try, but I've never scouted it out in the winter. River ice really makes me nervous. Bring a long rope!

flyfshrmn

Was out yesterday, yes the water seems to be much clearer, and there was plenty of ice... nine inches to be exact. I just started fishing the Red last summer for cats, but I much prefer walley, northerns, etc. I went out above the dam at River oaks park in Moorhead, and caught one trash fish of sorts, I think they are called moon eyes, I heard some local guy calling them skip jacks, but when I looked up skip jacks on the net, that wasn't what I caught. I'm not sure what to look for as far as where to fish, but another one of the locals said that a friend of his catches them in the shallows on a crankbait in the summer (I didn't have any luck with that though). I've heard you can ice fish for cats too, but once again I'll take walleys any day.
Pete

[This message has been edited by flyfshrmn (edited 01-02-2002).]

Really? 9" of ice!

I just started fishing cats last year too. A friend of mine got me hooked on it, and I've got a nice little river boat now.

I am going to have to try icing the Red. I've got a spot that I think would be pretty good for Walleyes. I am a wally guy too. Email me and I could share the spot with you ([email protected]). The evenings/night work best for me on the river.

P.S. I think you caught a Goldeye. Is it silver in color, almost resembles a huge shiner minnow? Goldeyes are everywhere in there and great cutbait!

flyfshrmn

Chuck,
Thanks for the info. I'll probably try that this weekend. Not sure how the ice will be there, seems to me the current was faster there, we'll see! I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone else have any tips for us?
Pete

River ice is inconsistent so be careful!

I strongly doubt it is 9" everywhere and in the current it may be just a crust. It can go from 11" to a 1" cover sheet in a few feet so test all ice carefully with a bar.

Stay out of mid channel and deep bends were the current runs the fastest, there won't be any active fish there anyway, just too fast for them in cold water.

Fish the first drop off the bank near backwaters formed by snags that reduce the flow. Most walleye will be in these areas when they wish to feed, less work, less current, more forage.

Fast current in cold water causes fish to burn too much energy to feed, more work then it's worth for them. Seek slower water at dawn and dusk. Most active fish will be in less them 8 foot of water and possible in 2-3'.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS!!!

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

Steve Foss

For ice walleyes, look for slack water directly below points, islands, really big rocks and snags. Most of my experience has been around Grand Forks/East Grand Forks, but that shouldn't matter. Another place I've had really good luck is in the current seam well below dams, where the downstream main current brushe