• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know that this question has been asked a dozen or so times, but I'm going to ask it again to be sure that I understand things correctly.
Colors for both jigs and cranks on the Red near Selkirk are flourescents like bright green, chartreuse, orange, and pink, right? How about the typical size of the jigs you need? Is a half oz. going to cut it in most situations?

What about colors on the on the Winnipeg river? How about size of jigs? How deep are people typically trolling cranks over there- the same eight to 14 feet?

I'm heading up tomorrow so I hope to have a report on Mon. or Tues. However, the weather doesn't sound like it's going to cooperate with us so who knows!
Scoot

Try florescent yellow, pink, or orange and glow green would be a good plan. Size will range from 3/8 to 5/8 but 1/2 is a good size to have the most off.

Big thumper whistlers in 1/2 would be a good plan too.

Have some #8 shad raps too, clown, silver blue, or white yellow for the Red and the Falls. Deep runner husky jerks are very good on the Falls same basic type colors as the shads.

Good luck Scoot even if the weather is crummy I hear the fishing is getting much better.

Thanks for the info. I hope I get to use it-I caught a bug last night and feel pretty miserable right now. On the other hand I've been looking forward to this trip for a month or so... maybe I'll feel like hell in the boat instead of my apartment.
I had heard something about the Falls area producing on drastically different colors, but it sounds like that's not the case. Thanks again for the wisdom!
Scoot

Just remember Scoot the lake shiner and the smelt are the 2 top forages on both systems. Smelt more so on the Falls for some reason? If you see bait balls on a flasher or graph work them hard with whatever you got, troll, jig whatever. Color is second to finding the fish.

Food=walleye

RED RIVER REPORT MANITOBA CANADA
Water was up today --- gates are opened at Lockport but not wide.It seems that the Red is being lowered a lot more slowly this year as we haven't received much rainfall to this point --- so it would seem that the previous opening of the gates won't be as dramatic as it has been in years past (that could change if we were to receive a lot of rainfall in the next couple of weeks!) I've read a few postings (on my bulletin board) where people were having a few problems catching fish on the Red over the past few days.It seems all that people were catching today was saugers.

I, on the other hand did quite well with a
client... 7 keeper walleye (including 5.2# + 6.6# the largest two) and we threw two (23" and 25") back. We also caught one pike and numerous saugers ( I've read reports time and time again where people report catches of 100-150 ---- Saugers that is and NOT walleye). The bite did subside when a cold/wet front moved in this afternoon. I did notice that the bite was a bit more tentative today almost as if the fish were starting to
slow, or become a bit more lethargic (something that usually doesn't start until next weekend).
Water temps are just above 50 which still bodes well for another couple of weekends. I don't want to say that fishing this week will be hot (like it was last weekend but you're sure to catch your share if you get out in the next week or so).

Weather now will play an important role. It seems that if we were to get a few days of warmer milder weather they'll come back on (the opposite holds true if it stays dreary they'll stay off the bite but for morning
and night). BTW We haven't really seen a lot of fish over 10# but we have seen more 5# and 6# fish then we're used to seeing on the Red (something the Winnipeg river is famous for kicking out on a regular basis in the fall). Have a good one.
Regards, Dan

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

Just got off the phone with the lockmaster at the St. Andrew's locks (Lock Port). Draw down has begun but it will be gradual as I had already mentioned. There hasn't been enough precipitation in the valley this fall to warrant a draw down of the proportions we have seen in the past. Heavy turbidity ( of the chocolate milk variety) won't be an issue this year. Increased flows can draw more fish in.... but the cold front that is moving into Manitoba at the moment can put fish down for a couple of days..(we really saw it's effects yesterday afternoon when the fish shut off in a big way). The jig will predominate as water temperatures decline. Warm spells of a couple of days (even less) can trigger a good crank/trolling bite (for a short while). Hope to see some of you folks on the river... regards, Dan

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
[email protected]

Dan,

Don't get the wrong idea- I'm not trying to start anything here, but I have a question for you. You mentioned keeping the 5 and 6 lbers and letting the smaller ones go (if I inderstood you post correctly), it seems like this is backwards to common practice... it's not like the "small ones" were small being in the 20's. How come?
I noticed lots of people keeping fish between 4 and 7 lbs. Why aren't people keeping the smaller ones and letting the bigger ones go? Like I said, I'm not trying to start a debate and I'm not trying to take issue with you, I'm just wondering if it's common practice up there?
Also, you mentioned that you were in the red Trilene hat. Was it mostly white with some red or is it all red? I saw a guy wearing a white and red Trilene hat, but it didn't sound like the one you described so I didn't hollar a hello over. Was it you?
Scoot

Good questions.. they deserve a lot of discussion by all resource users.

As you are probably aware, Manitoba regulations are amongst the best in North America. Our walleye/green back fishery on the Red and Winnipeg rivers will attest to that. The fishery has been improving over the past 4-5 years in quality and quantity.

As the regulations stand a full licence allows the angler to have in his/her possession one walleye over 22" with a total possession of four fish. If an angler catches a fish 28" or bettter the licence holder (if the fish is kept) must sign the back of the licence and no other 28" or better may be taken from these fisheries that season. These are responsible/sustainable/realistic regulations set up for the Red and Winnipeg rivers which will probably maintain these fisheries for years to come. The only difficulty I have with the regs are not with the regs but with the people who do not respect them!

Manitoban anglers and others from other parts of North America only harvest a minisicule number of fish when compared with the commercial harvest incurred each year on lake Winnipeg. Over 500,000 pounds of walleye (not including aboriginal harvest) are harvested per year with quotas set between 8-12,000 pounds per commercial fishermnen. Just imagine what a reduction of fifty percent of this harvest would mean for the sport fishery! Our rivers would host the BEST walleye fishing in North America (it's pretty good as it is!).

I personally laud your catch and release ethic. It is a significant change in angling and I do appreciate and agree with it. As an outfitter I also agree with your philosophy as it assures my business interests. However, I have an obligation to serve the wishes of my clients within the limits of the law (some wish to take fish home!). I also like to have a meal once in a while, with my family of course.. eh!

So to answer your question in a simple manner would be fool hardy. However its intent is excellent but the issue is very large and there are a lot of factors that have to be weighed in.

Finally I was trolling as well on Sunday (I was out trolling for Musky on LOTW on Saturday!). I think the locals look at trollers a bit differently as they have had years of good luck using the jig (this year was not one of them I suspect!). Moreover you can buy a whole lot of jigs and minnows for the price of one crank up here in Manitoba. I suspect it is a combination of both these factors. And then there is the factor of people having never done it for fall walleye... and shhh.... they don't know what they're missing!

I hope you're having a great fall season. It's been a great one for clients and myself. I have written another 14! articles describing my experiences on the Red and Winnipeg rivers and hope to have them up on the net in a couple of months (editing and all that stuff takes time). A publishing deal is in the works but don't hold your breath as I'll probably have to foot the bill for a chunk of the publishing ... go figure eh!
regards, Dan

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dkiazyk (edited 10-16-2001).]

I got back from the Red yesterday. It was a little slow, but we did manage some dang nice fish. Caught 21 'eyes on Sat and Sun ranging from 3 lbs. to 8.2 lbs- all fish were released (gotta love catching and especially releasing those big mammas!) We did much better than most we saw by using crankbaits. We only saw three walleyes caught in two days of fishing besides us. Maybe we're just funny looking, but people seemed to actually be laughing at us for pulling cranks! Are we just an ugly group or do many locals up there think pulling cranks is that funny?
Does anyone know if Pine Falls is going right now? I have friends up there for this week and they probably will stay on the Red if they don't hear a good report from the Winnipeg River. If, however, the fish are going on the Winnipeg I'd like to give them a call so they can give it a try over there. Anyone have any info???
Thanks,
Scoot

Dan,

Thanks for all of the good info and quick response. I wasn't aware of the 22" limit- it sure seemed like several of the fish I saw on stringers were longer than that, but maybe it's just because so many of the fish are so fat that they just looked bigger than they are.
It's undeniable that it's a great fishery up there and I'm glad to hear that the province is doing such a good job of laying down guidlines that will maintain it.
Scoot