• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a hunch but.......

Ed,

I wasn't at the dam your hunch suggested, but I did fish the North Dam in Fargo again tonight. Once again I was completely shut out. I have yet to catch a fish in the Red this fall. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
Scoot

Well Scoot I suppose you don't want to hear that a client and I caught 4 limits of very nice walleye tonight and 2 limits of cats then.

He kept 5 walleye and 5 cats to take home to Washington in the morning.

It was a pretty good night, were we were anyway.

wink.gif

No, I don't want to hear that BWE! (but good for you!) I have been out on the Red a few times in the last week and I have been shut out too. I have been in my boat north and south of the Moorhead launch, but north of the north dam. No cats, no walleyes, nothing! Then again, I don't have frogs, or primo live bait. I've been using cut bait, crankbaits, jigs...
Do I need to get away from the north part of the river or what? Help, please!

Yup on frogs, at night, up close & very shallow on stand-up 3/8 jigs, slow jigging is key, or just a slow drag & twitch.

Look to tributeries is about all I can say on where to go, for now.

D & H has frogs too, lot's of them.

Good hunting CD............><,,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 09-26-2001).]

Ed, I don't doubt the accuracy of your report, but I have to admit to being a little miffed by it!!! I've been working pretty hard the past few days/weeks to try catch some fall eyes and I've come up totally empty handed... and I do mean totally. Your ambigious tip gives me enough to go on for now. I think I'll give it a try on Friday. Thanks for the tip and way to go on the hot pattern you're on-- I'm very jealous!
Scoot

Well, I continued my streak of not catching a green/gold fish tonight. I did manage one small cat at the north dam, though.
Despite the poor catching, it was an awesome night down at the river. I saw a couple of deer and lots of geese.
I love the fall.
Scoot

Try the Sheyeene River from the interstate to the mouth Scoot. Pay close attention to areas that have drainage ditches or marsh's near or have pools with riffles.

The Buff has been doing well too, well worth a look.

It seams like due to the low water the big schools of walleye are avoiding the dams yet, they are hunting far closer to prime wintering areas and feeder systems.

Jigs are still good as are floating jigs tipped with a big fathead. Frogs are good yet at night up on the mud, this will change fast after this week as it is to get cool.

Keep some shallow runner cranks on hand in high contrasting colors like blue/white, black/white, crawfish, silver blue/white belly work well for me. As the water clears the reflective patterns may do better?

Good Luck Scoot!

I have been busy as heck sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding Service
10409 Co. Rd #17 S
Horace, ND. 58047

[email protected]

1-(701)-281-2300

Try the diversion channel for frogs, lots of them to catch when you do find them.

Look to deeper pool areas as they are headed for water from the fields. I caught a big bucket of fresh frogs today in a short time Scoot. The fresh field hoppers will be bigger then the average so you will need a stinger set high on there backs when rigging on a jig.

Because I am a cruel basterd I break there legs above the knees so they can't lift their legs high enough to tangle the stinger hook.

I just KNOW I will be reincarnated as a frog!

grin.gif

Ed,

Thanks for the info.- I'll do my best to try put it to good use. I've thought about heading over the the Buffalo, but haven't done so since it's traditionally only small fish that I tend to catch there. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Never fished the Sheyenne before- that could be interesting.
Scoot

Thanks for the tip, you mean bastard (to quote you, Ed)! I'll try give it a try asap.
Scoot

Just a note on frogs. My son, Jason, caught a frog on the bank of the Red and and used it to catch a 9.75 lb. cat and a 7.5 lb walleye just upstream from Johnson Park. He had a larger walleye up to the boat this morning but lost it.

Cool Dr.D & Jason!

I seen you called but I have had no chance to get back to you, been on the run a lot the past few days, sorry.

That stretch of river must be a fun run now? I was scouting access points on the Sheyeene River and a few others up North, not good, way too low or too steep is what I found.

Word is if you want sauger head to Drayton Dam, lots being caught, a few walleye too. Dennis was headed up this morning with a friend but I have a deal here at home that needs me to stay close today, bummer. That would be fun too!

The big cats are doing well North of the Fork's too. This may shut down after today though?

Thank's for the Report Dr. D!

Ed and others,

I tried the Sheyenne from the interstate to the River and came up with only one cat. We didn't have much time and only tried to fish a couple of spots and not for long.
I'm planning on heading up to the Red near Selkirk on Sun. night and I'll put out a report when I get back.
Scoot

Scoot the word is it is a bit slow up north yet. I know a few guys whom are there now so I will see what they say over the next few days. Selkirk is slow on walleye but hot on sauger. The Falls is hit and miss with some big stuff starting to show. I hear a week will help?

The Red was very good this past weekend. We caught many fish on all three days (didn't see that many others with/catching many fish)-- I was Wearing my Trilene hat...easy to spot--. Fall walleye requires PERSISTENCE.... and in my opinion I saw too many anglers cruising rather than fishing..... I was easy to spot jigging in the early am and late pm and trolling throughout the day. One trick I'm going to let out is that the jigging thing will start to predominate as the water temps keep going down and when trolling work up and down contours until you find clouds of baitfish or chomping 'eyes. I did take fish this weekend as I hadn't had a good walleye feed for a while and dagnamit they were good!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

No update for anyone- our trip got delayed a week for a bunch of reasons. I'll have a report for you on the 17th.