• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went down to the Red to try a little walleye fishing last night, and managed to catch everything but. I even caught a small smallmouth bass, didn't know they were in there, is there a fishable population or is there just a few in there. Any hints on catching Walleye, or is it still too early? Caught 7 different species of fish last night in about 2 hours, that smallmouth, a couple goldeye, a drum, a couple northerns, one small walleye, a few cats and a bullhead, didn't know you could catch so many different fish on the Red. All were on a rat-l-trap or spoon except the cats and bullheads which were on liver.

There are a few Smallies in the Red but I never found many. I bet you were fishing by the dam on the Red Lake River. That is the only place I ever found them. There is a good population in the Red Lake River that has been expanding nicely for the lst several years.

There are lots of Small mouth bass in the red, some go 6 lb's!

The reconstruction of the dams on the Red will further aid in the general dispersal of this growing population. The headwaters region especially has a very good population and they are spreading fast down the Red. I have caught bass on every dam on the Red.

The Otter Tail River has helped to produce a good brood stock of bass that feed the Red with new stock, a great system that Otter Tail.

I actually caught this one at the south dam in Fargo, I knew they were in the system, I fish them quite often on the otter tail near Fergus. I had just never heard of anyone catching them in the Red itself. Is there enough in the Red near Fargo to make them worth going after, any hints on where or what to use on em?