• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

The map CD has good detail of the Red Bruce? That is very hard to find on any map system I have found so far.

Your on to a good system there & I would like to take a look at the detail once.

Maybe catch you on the Red some time and take a look.

I can see how if you save the waypoints over time the details would be telling. Good thinking Bruce!

BE.......><,,>

Bruce

I have started to use a mapping GPS unit (Lowrance Global Map 100) this year for catfishing and have really found it to be very useful. I downloaded a detailed map of the Red River from the CD that comes with the unit. I can then view the bends on the river as I am approaching them and also get a better view of how the upcoming sections of the river look for potential fishing spots. This will also show me where my boat is situated in relation to the bends on the river. I found this especially useful yesterday when I was fishing an area of the river that I had never fished before. For those of you who fish the Red by boat, I think you would find using a mapping GPS unit to be a very helpful fishing tool. Good Luck and catch some big ones (Please catch and release the summo cats!). Bruce

Bruce

Ed, I am very impressed with the detail on the unit. This week when I fished the Hendrum and Halstad areas of the river, the map showed and labeled the Elm and Wild Rice rivers and showed where they entered the Red. It is an awesome tool for catfishing on the Red. Let me know if you would like to go out some day and see how it works. Bruce

cvikes80

Bruce,
How much did that puppy cost ya?

Scoot

FYI- I posted this elsewhere so it might be repeat info to you.
The Global Map has the same detailed information that the e-map, Magellan 330, etc. have- as long as they have mapping capabilities and offer a disk that has detailed information for specific areas available. Some are slightly better or worse for particular areas, but I found the Garmin and the Magellan to be almost identical for around Fargo and on the Red River.
I liked the Global Map I had for lots of reasons, but I returned it for a few reasons that I did not care for it- nothing seriously wrong with it at all, I was just being picky and trying to find everything I wanted in one unit. For anyone who cares the i-finder from Lowrance should be available sometime soon (they've delayed it's release a bunch of times- it's even advertised in magazines as available, but it's not) and it will have all of the pros of the Global Map and almost none of the cons (at least my pros and cons).
If it's your first GPS with mapping, Bruce, you must be pretty impressed with it? I think they're cooler than heck and now that I have one I'd never get rid of it.
Any recent reports around Fargo for cats?
Scoot

Scoot the cats are hungry!

Bruce on the Drayton thing try Trea Server and pay close attention to the GPS points they provide when you zoom in.

The X marks the spot so you can get some good waypoints to work from on there.

You may even see the riffles on some air photo's?

Backwater Eddy.......><,,>

cvikes80

Im really interested in purchasing a gps unit for the red..is the lowrance 100 the biggest bang for the buck or what do you all recomend? thnx in advance.
Chad

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      As soon as humanely possible. We have a seasonal cabin that we use year-round, an no road access. Therefore like PSU, we are bound by the ice-out to determine our first open water trip. If I had road access, it would likely be determined by other factors such as snow on the driveway, etc.   If you have plumbing pipes, that is another concern. We haul in our water so I don't have to worry about pipes bursting. About six years ago, I did hook up my lake pump at opener at left it filled with water. When I came back for Memorial Day, the iron housing had cracked due to water freezing.   My general advice is to not avoid the in-between times. They are often the best. Less people are around, you get to see the land and the lake change, when the ice goes out you get to see eagles and other scavengers pick up all the floating winter-kill fish, green starts popping up everywhere, etc. It's a fun time to be in the woods and around the lake. Canoeing through ice or boating through black ice is always a hoot as well!
    • Mike89
      the way things going for him that is most likely true!!!!  🤣😝
    • merc
      Smurfy has fish with his name on them. He must have put another order into Morries.     
    • smurfy
      I know!!😊 but I ain't got anyone to shovel.😞 and after tomorrow's snow I'm hearing grumbling of a huge magor storm for the weekend.
    • BobT
      Does the handle fit otherwise? If so, rather than wait for the OEM to send a screw, I would most likely have gone down to my local Fleet Farm or Menards and found a SS screw to fit. I wouldn't get my shorts too much in a bunch over it. 
    • eyeguy 54
      but are the northerns making flags go up? 
    • Hoey
      Brokie - Without knowing where you are located, I can not recommend a reel shop, is what I recommend doing.  A reel repair shop should be able to help you with your problem.  West side of the TC, Wayzata Bait and Tackle, for example.  
    • Bigfatbert
      I will also add to my above post that the discoveries of this disease in new areas like crow wing co. should not become a panic in that area and the whacking of deer in these areas is truly nonsense. What if one deer survives the mass killing that happens to be infected ,, well then what ? In a herd that annually is around one million in our state , having a handful of sick deer from CWD is not the end to our herd .How many deer actually do test positive from these stupid massive killings when all the bullets are done flying ?? Sooner or later with the now implementation of CWD testing , ,it’s gonna pop up  in new areas either naturally or by the existence of poor oversight and improper management of deer farms . So if this time it’s a deer in Crow Wing Co . So the DNR says let’s whack them all in that area , how bout when one happens to test positive next month in Lake of the woods co  , well let’s whack them all there too , and when one happens to test positive in Itasca or Hubbard co , well let’s whack them also . Before long we won’t have any deer left in our state with this stupid thinking , it won’t be the he disease itself that eliminated our deer herd , it’s the DNR that just eliminated our herd .. killing as many deer in a positive test area does nothing to help the problem..  on another note our DNR management of deer is terrible and many times quotas for upcoming seasons are determined by auto  insurance companies who pressure the state that these areas are carrying to many deer and the herd needs to be thinner in these areas , and thus lowering  the payouts to insured motorists who happen to hit a deer and make a claim. So then the state ups the permits and harvest in these areas to thin out the deer , ahhhh money the root of all evil. Nothing to do with a Biological stance whatsoever. And when these numbers don’t fall within quotas by permits to harvest these extra deer , well then find a deer in those areas that has CWD and kill them all , then the state says “there now we lowered those numbers “ and the insurance companies say thanks . Nooooooo dat don’t happen , does it ??? Hmmmmm !!
    • gunner55
      We're not seasonal anymore but it's been within a week of the Opener before the ice has been out, 3 out of the last 4 years here.
    • Bigfatbert
      Deer farms need more oversight, they need to be strictly regulated with tougher regulations, and extremely  stiff penalties for lack of following these stricter regulations. Wasteful spending of tax payers money to curb this is just that “wasteful “... CWD is not new whatsoever . It first was discovered , I believe ,  way back in the 1960’s , that was when it was first noticed , so it obviously had been around  before that . So good Lord it’s darn near sixty years ,at least of existence  If it was going to be the death of all deer , well then it should of happened by now . Pockets of sickness will occur , but whacking out all the deer in any given area is nonsense. As is implementation of no recreational feeding is also nonsense in a social animal that deer naturally are . Licking , sniffing, sharing natural food sources already naturally occur with deer..It is for the most part a self elimination of the disease by death anyway.. Do what can be done with the farms , and don’t panic , things will be just fine . Time has proven this to be the case.. the numbers  after 60+ years of the existence of this disease speak for themselves ..  there are other deer diseases we should be more worried about anyway as they do  have the potential to setback the herd in large numbers , such as EHD .  Not much can be done to curb the spread of these more potential  deadly diseases either . It just is what it is ... all the more reason to control deer farms as that’s were things like EHD tend to start also .