• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Red River QUESTION???

Planning to head to red river area aug. 13 thru 20 bringing several boys up where's good place to take these boys fishing where action is best / bait/ etc . will be catfishing/perch/walleye ????

THE RED RIVER AREA RUNS FROM WAHPETON TO PEMBINA. WHICH RED RIVER AREA ARE YOU HEADIN' TO? MOST OF THE RIVER IS FULL OF FISH OF PRACTICALLY EVERY SPECIES. BRING A BUNCH OF BAIT, CAMP ALONG THE SHORE, AND FISH ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT AND YOUR BOYS WILL CATCH LOADS OF FISH. I DON'T THINK I'D EAT MANY OF THEM THIS TIME OF YEAR, BUT THEY'RE LOTS OF FUN TO CATCH.

Not sure what area maybe around fargo N.D., is that a good area ????? What kind of bait is best??? what kind of fish???? thanx

Use frogs and cut gold eye for bait. You will catch Catfish and the occasional walleye with these baits.
I fish up in the Hendrum area on the Red and Wild Rice rivers. If your camping, Hendrum has a camp ground just outside of town on county road 25. Have bath rooms and hookups. First 2 nights are free and then its $3 a day after that. Hendrum is 28 miles north of Fargo/Moorhead on Hwy 75. Can use Mn or ND
license on the Red but must have Mn lic for the Wild Rice.
Fishin has been hot as of late. Pulled in 7 cats last night on the Wild Rice, 3 in the 10 -12 lb range but they get alot bigger out on the Red.
Have fun.

Like the others said, It's pretty good fishing on the Red. It just depends on your situation. I fish the banks all the time when possible.

Make sure you know how to handle a catfish or bullhead. You'll more than likely run into other fisherman that can show you.

Good Luck

I have a related, more specific question. Where, exactly, is the access in Fargo that is upstream from the midtown dam (I know it's not technically a dam anymore)? I'd like to fish the Lindenwood area and I've never fished up from the dam before. I was told it is just upstream from the dam, but I looked for it and didn't find it. It's on the Fargo side, right?
Thanks,
Scoot

Scoot
Ther boat ramp is just south of the downtown dam. It is on the Fargo side of the river. It is a nice ramp and fairly new. Bruce

Don't forget the Red River of the North, Right now it's Cattin' season but four more weeks or so and the greenbacks will be coming down! The exchange rate is really to your advantage as well! Good luck on your trip!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

Dan,

If you had to pick one date that would represent the typical time of year when the walleyes show up around Lockport, what would that date be? Is the date highly variable or can you make a pretty decent prediction? Also, if you had to pick a one week period to fish walleyes in the same area when would that week be (only including boat fishing)? Does that migration happen pretty much all at once or is it more gradual?
From what I've heard the preferred methods of fishing are live bait rigs, cranks, and jigs- any other common methods to throw in there?
Thanks for the info and help,
Scoot

Scoot,
I've had luck catchen walleye's in Grand Forks as recently as today. I was using a white grub and caught 6 ranging from a pound to pound and a half. I was actually trying to catch Goldeye but had no such luck.
Chad

[This message has been edited by cvikes80 (edited 07-28-2001).]

where were youable to get to the waters edge in GF?
was there but could not find a spot to wet a line at. was bummin. i made the trip there to go cattin. oh well.
mayb one day this week i will get back over there to give it a go again.
Monty

------------------
Say what you mean and Mean what you say.
You've got to think like a fish no matter how wierd it gets...Storm Fishing Lures Ad

Monty,
I actually was in a boat and fished near lincoln park. If you would like to venture out in a boat on the red sometime let me know. I dont plan on going out again untill after the tourny but if your in dire need to try for a piggy sooner i can easily be talked into a journy of such likes. You can let me know anytime your coming to town so incase of wet muddy banks we can just run out in the boat. Im usally open most weekends.
Let me know,
Take care everyone,
Chad

Chad,
I will file that for future ref. thanx for the offer. was over there again today picking up my new 22 from cabelas. anyways there were alot more giving the banks a shot. did not have the spare time to venture down and visit with and see if they were biting or not. i am guessing they were doing OK.

thanx for the offer.
Monty