• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The bite thus far has been consistent but not overly remarkable. There have been a few days of late that have been better but many days we'll see two or three good ones ( I guess I'm spoiled...if I don't see more than 5 better than 20#, I start whining!). On the tougher days the cats seem to be mouthing baits ... not really interested and it takes a bit of work to boat what we are catching. A good strategy for us this time of year is to "MOVE" often... even when we do catch a fish in a spot we're finding that it's even an error to stay there too long! Fresh cut goldeye is number one as bait and sucker follows a close second. One little bit of tweeking that I done this year to rigs has been to lighten up my weights -- seems to have helped, fewer snags!?? I've personally seen fewer cats caught this year on shrimp than I've seen caught other years.... I've also seen more juveniles caught on jigs than ever before. Mornings seem to be the best and as we move into the warmer weather the evening-to-night bite seems to be picking up... I'm still waiting for the 20/20 day (twenty cats over twenty pounds... it happens once in a while!). The river has normalized and will be better to angle than was our first month of operations.
Catch a biggun',
Dan, Cat Eye Outfitter,
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

How is the water levels now?

I though it may be on the way down by now up your way?

How many gates are open per day on average this week?

Thank's!

BE........><,,>

2.5 gates are open and have been that way for a couple of weeks. the Locks master may change that Monday morning as some debris has been piling up behind closed gates (if they open up more gates it will throw fish off for a little bit). Morning until 11 and early evening are doing quite well right now. Water has gone up a foot since last weekend. I suspect the water will continue to rise a bit for the next week or so as Manitoba received a lot of rain last week. The boat caught 9 cats over 34" today and caught 7 yesterday.
Sharpen them hooks!
Dan, Cat Eye Outfitter
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dkiazyk (edited 07-01-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

The bite over the past few weeks has been very consistent north of Lockport. I am noticing that many anglers are working the deeper channel/holes of the river as the water/air temperatures are on the rise. Other good tactics right now also include going into some of the rougher/faster water behind gates that are open (please be careful if you attempt this and wear your PFD!). Finally the evening/night bite is also showing up as the best time to get in some cattin'. I also like to use floats in some likely areas at this time of year..... especially when I see cats bustin' after goldeye or whatever else ever they're after! It's a just great to see a great big float pulled under with authority --- knowing all the while your in for a tussle too!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dkiazyk (edited 07-10-2001).]

using floats huh?
a buddy and I asked about floats the last time we were at cabela's and the one guy said up north is about the only place he has heard of anyone using them regularly and with much success.
we do alot of slip bobber fishing for panfish and eyes. so we got to thinking...why would this same concept not work for cats? well i guess it does.
now we gotta try it around here on the red. only problem we forsee is that it would work much better from a boat as compared to shore fishing. once we decide to give cats another try i am sure we will try it from shore.
Monty

------------------
Say what you mean and Mean what you say.
You've got to think like a fish no matter how wierd it gets...Storm Fishing Lures Ad

You betcha..... especially when the dog days show up it's always nice to be able to go at them cats from another angle. I'll use the largest Thill floats (often used for pike and musky dead baiting) a barrel swivel, 12" - 24" lead of 20# (Stren or Berkley big game)to a 5/0 or 6/0 hook. (I haven't had enough confidence in circle hooks but will be trying them with increased frequency throughout the summer). My float stop will be made of yarn and usually we'll place a bead between the float and the swivel. Location is a key factor --- back water conditions are very conducive to this kind of attack. On some occasions this is a killer tactic behind gates which are closed. At Lockport this tactic is also practiced some years in the floodway outlet area (I'm sure you've all seen that "Stange" In-fisherman TV segment where he goes toe-to-toe with the big forks in this area - a really cool TV piece!). Give it a go, it's the visual side to fishing at its biggest --

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
[email protected]

yep those are the floats we were asking about.
actually we first got the idea from a guy that was doing a demo of the Gapin bobbers at cabela's when they had one of there big days at the east grand forks store. he was showing how to load those bobbers to get the best performance from them. my fishing buddy and i then left and walked around the store a little confused from this loading a bobber talk. so we went back there and was playing with the bobbers. pushing down on them picking them out of the water. then the guy that gave the demo came over and he went through this demo again for us. how cool is that?
anyways the largest bobber they had needs 3/4 oz to load it properly. he asked us what kind of fishing we did. we told him just about anything that was game. he asked if we had ever used a bobber for cats? we looked at each other then at him like he was crazy. then he explained it to us more in depth. kinda like you did with the different presentation. he said it may be a little difficult on the main areas of the river. he did say it could be killer in the right places though. like you explained.
then we got to thinkin about this and talked about it for some time.
then one day when we were into cabelas looking at the big musky bucktails that big bobber was sitting there staring at us and we were like now that is a bobber. then the one guy that has been a great help to us walked up and we asked him about using that bobber for cats. he said sure ya can.
so now we may have to try it sometime.
thanx
Monty

------------------
You've got to think like a fish no matter how wierd it gets...Storm Fishing Lures Ad

Floats for cats is a blast. The best float I have and still use for medium to heavy current is the Wazp Gazette. It looks like a top, but floats nicely. Cats, even the smaller ones,will actually make that float 'pop' when they take it down. The fish hit the bait that fast and hard when they commit to strike. Great fun watching it happen.

Take a look at Lindy Little Joe's new big cigar weighted floats once, very cool, very deadly.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding Service
10409 Co. Rd #17 S
Horace, ND. 58047

[email protected]

1-(701)-281-2300

i have seen that little lindy joe float. have not picked it up to really look yet just walked by it.
might have to think about that tomorrow as i am headed to grand forks to cabela's then find me a piece of shore to pull up and fish.
well might be fishing long before cabela's opens. but you get the point.
Monty

------------------

Areas were a sand bar or rip-rap run parallel to the main current can be slipped with floats and are good spots. Usually in 5' or less, more often 3' then not.

As temps rise and large amounts of shiners and goldeye pile up near the dams the big piggy cats hunt these areas and will bust baits live or dead. Prime shallow backwater's very near the dam can be real good as are rock points.

The Drayton Dam may be too high yet? Ya just never know tell you try really, so go for it! Look for any current tunnels or mid river pockets that are near a sand bar, this may be the best float run right now.

Keep your eye's open for any sign of baitfish running for the lives, this is a darn good indication they piggy's are on the hunt!

Good hunting,

BE......><,,>

wish i knew about the drayton dam. i was thinkin about heading that way today but ended up in crookston for a few than out. noone was fishing at all. not even for eyes or whatever. besides it was kind hot. so i bailed on crookston. shoulda just went north to drayton. if nothing else but to check it out been a couple years since i been that way.
might have to drag my fishing buddy with me. i bet his eyes would light up if i told him there are big cats waiting for us there.
Monty

------------------

Hey you guys, how is the mouth of the red lake and red in EGF?

I'm going up there to replenish my tackle at Cabellas so may fish the mouth there if productive.

The dams here seem too high water to fish. At least the North Dam is tough to fish. I haven't even tried. Some people are fishing the Fgo side but the Mhd side is terrible, unless I'm missing something?

I may try Drayton, also, if fishable. Just wondering?

I'll have to take a look at those Lindy floats sometime soon. I looked at those Gazette's I have( I have two left), and they are made by Class Tackle, so Wazp maybe the wrong mfg. from my prior post.The Gazette's are getting pretty beat up, but they are still working well.
BE, is the area below the Drayton Dam good for float fishing? I am planning a trip to that area. I have not fished there before now, so obviously I know very little about the river in that stretch. How is the condition of the local boat access that is nearby?, where ever that is.

well there have been some fishing the topside of the dam at the mouth of the red lake river to the red. do not know if they were productive or not.
we tried the bottom side about a month ago with no luck. then again the water was quite high.
last wed when i was in GF i checked the river and it was doing better. could at least get to the waters edge without mud to your knees. then this morning it dumped so i am guessing it is mudd up to your wazoo again.
as of right it will be some time before i have a chance to go cattin. got plans next weekend. then again it is only an hour to the red for me. so who knows i may run there tomorrow. going to fargo on thursday night for the clapton concert.
the little bit i have fished i have used stink bait with little luck.
too lazy to get live bait or cut bait.
Monty

------------------

Fred try the North Dam at GF when your there. The low head dams on the tribs are full of hungry kitty's too.

Word from the clerk up at GF is it has been good.

The cats in the Wahpeton to the Fargo area are on the chew, yesterday was very good all over. Cut's and frogs were hot!

Go get em Fred!!

BE...><,,>

Thanks Ed,

I always appreciate your info. I was just down at the North dam in Fgo-Mhd. Still quite hi water. Didn't have time to fish right then but there was a fly fisherman down there. No action I could see and the Fgo side was bare.

There were some vehicles with people sleeping so mebe they fished last night but didn't want to bother them. They had local plates.

Dang it's been HOT. May have to turn my schedule around and fish in the dark.

Go get um everybody!!

Fred,
I went out last night on the red in GF though it wasnt near the mouth of the red lake and red. The big ones have been hitting rather well. I have been having most of my luck before or after the turns in the river where there is a good hole present. I usally look for sunken logs in these areas and that formula has worked for me for the most part. If your looking to fish from shore. Then go with BWE's advise and go to the north dam. When i want to fish the north side of the dam from shore i usally go to the north boat ramp and fish the north side of it cause I seem to get too many snags near the dam and if its muddy you have concrete to stand on. Its a real good back water area.
Good Luck,
Chad

[This message has been edited by cvikes80 (edited 07-15-2001).]

Well..... had a 20/20 day on Friday (twenty cats at 20 lbs or better. The bite is fast and furious at the moment.... however the goldeye have been gorging themselves on the mayflies.... which makes them really hard to catch..I would say that the stable warm weather and the warmer water have put the piggies on the prowl. My guest that day caught the big piggy of 36.25 and at least 27#. I have caught a few goldeyes lowering the bobber stop to 7-8 ft in 13ft of water. It seems to work for now! Catch em and let go to grow. Tight lines all!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
[email protected]

I found information on the float I recommend you cat hunters try.

It is model # UAFW110 made or sold by Lindy Little Joe and is called a Pole Float.

Try rigging it like this once.

Slip a 1" piece of small flexible surgical tubing on the line, then a bead & the float. Now add a good sized bullet weight (1/4-3/8), now a bead and a 7 O/T kale hook. The bullet weights are snag resistant and the bead helps to protect the knot.

OK, the tubing thing has you stumped EH? Well you tie a slip bobber knot over the outside of the tubing with a heavy duty bobber stop line or a chunk of heavy dakron line. This will protect your line from scuffs and still adjust well and is highly visible at a long range so you can see if the rig is working properly. Very simple rig really and casts very well.

I prefer a real long rod for slip floating baits. I use a 11' EURO style predator rod to guide the float were I wish it to go and allows the line to stay out of the current producing a more natural slip down stream. Longer the better is a good rule to fallow.

A tip that will save you some cash is to use 30 lb Fire Line on the reel and add a swivel to the float rig about 6" above the hook. You then use a lighter weight mono leader attached to the swivel and hook. This will save your float when you hang up as the leader SHOULD bust before the Fireline will. Fireline also slips very well on float rigs and may take a extra bobber stop to keep the float were you wish it to be, no big deal just toss on another stop knot above the piece of tubing.

This rig is a blast to use and can be used for many other situations and species of fish. From walleye, crappie (with a smaller hook-DA-), to pike this rig can pop a piggy out of almost anywhere.

Hope this helps guys and galls, give it a try some time and see what you think.

Good fishing, go pop a piggy!

Backwater Eddy........><,,>

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding Service
10409 Co. Rd #17 S
Horace, ND. 58047

[email protected]

1-(701)-281-2300

interesting.
i guess i would have just rigged it like i do my ultralite for panfish.
this makes more sense.
thanx
Monty

------------------

Went out with the Flyrod last night and guess what happened! My intent was to pick up some of those goldeye who have gone to eating emerging insect life (almost to the exclusion of everything else) and a whiskered critter took my dry fly! It didn't last a long time as my tippet was in the 4# range and I was anchored in amongst some other boats...... cats have gone ballastic! Meanwhile Sunday night I brought in a 20#+ piggy while using my goldeye float set up ..... needless to say I wasn't all that put off when the float went under with rocket speed. Water has now hit 78+ degrees and the cats are on the prowl. Water flow has increased over the past two days due to an enormous dumping of rain the Winnipeg/St. Andrews areas received on Monday (I was out in the innundation and was surprised at how the cats shut off once the weather made the abrupt change --- to heavy rain/and incredibly dark skies in this instance .... all the while the sauger and walleye made their typical turn-on just before and during the first part of the storm!). The next day however, the cats were right back on the chew. Hope you all get the chance to get out. Sharpen them hooks eh!

------------------
Dan Kiazyk
Cat Eye Outfitter
[email protected]