• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone know if you can buy whole, frozen
Goldeyes anywhere? Thanks in advance.

------------------

How many do you need?

In Canada they will be very hard to find and can not be sold as bait.

I stock up large amounts for my own use in guiding but may be able to help you out if you are near the Fargo area. I would need some time to stock them up and this week would not work for me.

I think Fargo Bait may have some, how many I do no know?

Backwater Eddy.......><,,>

• 3 weeks later...

As we discussed I set the bait you wanted out in the coolers in front of my garage at the time you wanted it, but no one picked it up?

Was there a mix up? I thought you were solid on the directions to get here, hope all went well.

I can use the bait so it was no inconvenience for me, just hope you were not short on bait.

Hope you had Good luck up North!

BE.......><,,>

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding Service
10409 Co. Rd #17 S
Horace, ND. 58047

[email protected]

1-(701)-281-2300

Just a little note..... the goldeye bite is very good at the moment. So, if your coming to the lower Red... a worm, some split shot and a float are all you'll need for some fresh bait. I find that fresh is better for a couple of reasons 1) the flesh stays together and encourages the cats to chew just a wee bit longer and 2)there is a particular scent to fresh goldeye which I believe is a significant element in attracting cats (I've found too often that changing bait often leads to more bites!). Now if you are having trouble connecting with goldeye or don't have the time... frozen is definitely your next best bet...
Keep those hooks sharp!
Dan (Cat Eye Outfitter)
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk2000
[email protected]

I fish the MN river near the twin cities.I know that there are some goldeyes in that river but I have only caught a few over the years I have fished it.I have not targeted these fish because I usually use chubs or suckers for bait.How do you fish for them and in what areas should I be looking for them?
thanx in advance

Most common method is a float and a little hook with a piece of worm, fished shallow near a current break.

Another method in the same type locations is a 1/4 oz. Whistler jig and a chunk of crawler or a crappie minnow. I personally enjoy this method and if you find a school of any size you can fill a bucket very fast.

Flooded grassy shoreline areas may also produce Goldeye in numbers.

Fun to catch on a Ultralight rig too!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding Service
10409 Co. Rd #17 S
Horace, ND. 58047

[email protected]

1-(701)-281-2300

I'll also focus on those "backwater -- eddies" (Sorry ED!) places as the goldeye seem to love to pick off, opportunistically, anything which passes by or through the "eddy". As BWE has suggested a float, hook (set about 12" to 18" below) with a piece of worm is an effective technique. If you are fishing heavier current "shotting" your line below the float is a necessity... I'll place three BB size pieces of shot along the line to keep it from riding up in the current.

THEY LIKE SMALL RAPALAS TOO (IF THOSE ARE THE FISH THAT LOOK LIKE HUGE SHINNERS)
THERES PLENTY OF THEM DOWN BELOW THE DAM AT ORWELL ALONG WITH THOSE BEAUTY BRONZEBACKS!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Ed, when you fish goldeye with a quarter ounce whistler do you hang it below a float or just cast and retrieve? Any color preference?

I just cast it up into the best looking areas and count it down with a slow retrieve.

Some days they want it on the top, and others near the bottom by the shore. A lot like crappie fishing really.

They seam to like glow green or yellow with gold blades best.

I was wondering if anyone could give me directions to the Orwell Dam. I live in Fargo.Directions from Fergus Falls would be great! Thanks !!

COMING DOWN 94, GO PAST 210 TO THE NEXT EXIT (HWY 1). GO LEFT (NORTH) TO 15 AND GO LEFT AGAIN (BACK OVER 94). GO WEST ON 15 AND IT WILL TURN SOUTH AFTER A FEW MILES AND RIGHT DOWN TO THE DAM.
ITS A REAL NICE AREA BUT KINDA BUSY SOMETIMES. I HAVEN'T BEEN UP THERE YET THIS YEAR BUT AS SOON AS THE WIFE WANTS TO SEE THE INLAWS, I'LL BE HAPPY TO DROP HER OFF AND HEAD FOR THE OTTER TAIL! (I'M ALWAYS BACK PROMPTLY AT ABOUT DARK30!)
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

• 2 weeks later...

if i am wrong please let me know.

in MN it is unlawful to use cut bait to fish?

so in order to use goldeneye you will need to be fishing the red with a ND license?

please verify this.

i have both states license this year. first year i have done that. in the past i have just used suckers, frogs, crawlers, minnows, and stinkbait for cats. this year i decided since i wanted to make a trip to devils lake and i had heard so many have luck with goldeyes that i would go ahead and get a ND license.
Monty

------------------
Say what you mean and Mean what you say.
You've got to think like a fish no matter how wierd it gets...Storm Fishing Lures Ad

another goldeye Q.
what part is the best part to use? or does it matter much?

is there other legal fish to use in this same manner?

Monty

------------------
You've got to think like a fish no matter how wierd it gets...Storm Fishing Lures Ad

I just cut them into slices for the size fish I'm trying for. I hook them by the edge so as to get some skin and it stays on well. Others may do it different. I've seen guys use a whole head also.

Fred

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 06-27-2003).]

well i am too lazy to go to my car to get the printed regs so i went to the dnr site and downloaded them.
gotta love cable internet access.
anyways. i did not see the part about the using goldeye legally. in the past i have used sucker minnows. sometimes whole with the bellies slit open. sometimes in half depending on how big they were.
i have not used chubs up here but did use them growing up for flats in Iowa.
if you could direct me to a page for that goldeye i would be verry grateful.
i think my best luck for the larger channels up here has been with frogs. but they are hard to come by.
in my outing today i stopped in crookston and saw a guy reel in about a 7lb channel from the currents of the dam there. he had a three way working and cast out into the dam. give it some line and sat back and waited. it did look like he was using some kind of cut bait but not sure.
i know i am covered with my ND license cuz i have seen it in there regs. would be nice to know where it is in the MN regs.
sure would be nice if i could use sunnies for cats. this past weekend i caught so many that were about 2-5 inches long. they would have made perfect bait for cats, but that is illegal.
here alot of southerners talking about using them for bait down there. sure wish we could up here.
thanx for the tips
Monty

------------------