• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report: Red River headwaters Region

Date: 3/31/01
Stage: 7.4
Flow: 1800 fps
Temp: 35

The majority of the Red is still iced over, with the ice gradually thinning and blackening. Water levels have been stable and the weather has been a bonus to slow and possibly limit the threat of the projected flooding in the Wahpeton headwaters region.

We pray it will be enough to halt any property damage if the Red spills its banks this spring. Still no active fishing on the red it is yet to crest so traditionally the best fishing is a week or two after it returns to a stable flow within it's banks.

I have included a few handy resources to bookmark to keep up on river flow conditions on the Red. I find them very helpful in planning any trip on the Red.

Red River at Wahpeton: http://srv1dndbmk.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/stnhyd.pl?station=05051500

Red River at Fargo: http://srv1dndbmk.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/stnhyd.pl?station=05054000

Red River at Grand Forks: http://srv1dndbmk.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/stnhyd.pl?station=05082500

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
><ED ON THE RED>
[email protected]
(701)-671-3079

BWE,

A forcast of warmer weather and rain should help eat up ice over the next 4-5 days too- yahoo!!!
Is there a temp that we should be looking for regarding when to catch 'eyes below dams? Typically, I head towards the dams after the flooding water starts to drop and the sun has a chance to heat up the water a little bit. What water temp would I expect the action to start below the dams? What temp is it that the 'eyes spawn at?-- I think it's 50 degrees give or take.
How long 'til you figure we might knock some gold below the local dams? I can't wait.
Scoot

Don't start at the dams, look down stream in off channel area's first, then the backwaters near the dam.

We will see a heavy flow of water soon from the South, this will mess things up big time for a week, maybe longer.

There were a few walleye caught near Wahpeton yesterday, but still slow yet.

More pike then anything, some big. Good time for a huge Red River piggy pike EH.

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

><ED ON THE RED>
[email protected]
(701)-671-3079

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-03-2001).]

Hey backwater... what are you using tackle- wise for walleye early on in the year at the headwaters. "If" we do get into walleye on the lower Red <Spring> we're usually dragging a lindy rig (just walking it along) with a minnow (live or salted). The only problem with this approach is that it is more than often assaulted by saugers who seem to be especially ravenous early on in the year.. Scenario sound familiar?
Dan
Cat Eye outfitter
http://www.geocities.com/dkiazyk20000
[email protected]

Howdy I'm a big northern pike fisherman and I never fished in a river that is this murkey as the Red river. I was wondering what you use for pike on the river and where a good location for pike in the Fargo/Moorehead area. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Butch try looking for creek arms that are slowing down, if you can find any yet. Dead baits or suckers set over flooded grass may be your best bet, especially with a bit of sun to warm it some. Cranks are very good for spot casting this time of year, same pattern, look for flooded weeds and current breaks.

In very muddy water hearing or smelt may be a better choice as the pike can sniff it out.

Good fishing.

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

><ED ON THE RED>
[email protected]
(701)-671-3079

dkiazyk- Some of the same tricks of fall work in spring. Cranks, jigs, rigs all seem to have there place. I find bulked up jigs tipped with live bait work well on shoreline huggers and cranks run over dune's pull up some real pigs.

Try the SALMO Whitefish with the metal bill in the sinking model, blue/white is a big fish lure.

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

><ED ON THE RED>
[email protected]
(701)-671-3079

Date: 4/17/01
Stage: 14.9
Flow: 7400 cfm
Temp: 35
Hot Technique: livebait rigging

Report:
Good news the Red is falling and the current is slowing down. As of this morning the Red River is at 14.9 and the flow is at 7400 cfs. Flood stage is 10' so we have a ways to go before it is stable and fishable again.

Ramps and areas near the Red will be a real mess, so be cautious of the conditions you encounter. There also will be a lot of flood debris flowing on the Red for a long time to come plus the very real possibility of rains aggravating the sloppy conditions. I would anticipate another week or more of unsafe boating conditions yet.

Please exercise EXTREAM CAUTION near the rivers, dykes and drainage ditch's as they can be slippery and potentially deadly!

Thank You......><,,>

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

><ED ON THE RED>
[email protected]
(701)-671-3079

I heard a report that because of water being let out of Traverse the Red will stay at about 31 feet for quite a while (no details given). Does anyone know if this is true or not? It sounds fishy to me, but I thought I'd better ask.
Scoot

Hey Ed, How ya doin?

Lookin forward to seeing you again. I'm not an ice fisherman so am ready for Spring!

I live in the Highrise in Moorhead with a view of the Red and is starting to fall. Mebe 1 1/2 ft in the last 2 days but should start getting a more rapid drop as things clear up downriver.

I'l also be going to Shelly in a few days so can let You know what things are like there.

I went to Cabellas in EGF this winter and ended up with an open face with a 10 ft rod. I thought it was an 8 ft. Now am stuck with it so will use it. Was wondering what type of line to spool it with? Large capacity reel. I guess it's called a Kingkat combo. Just a cheapie.

Before everyone thinks I'm an idiot I run an Abu 6500 with a 7 ft rod and 50 lb superbraid. I don't play around. I also have a 5000. Also a 3500.

I've had that line snap on a run. Not a snag. Hard to believe but happens. Those carp can give er he..

Anyway Ed, I think I'll try a baitrunner. Shimano is super gear. I'll miss the clicker but mebe just clip on a bell. In fact, running my Garcia and the baitrunner alongside each other will be less confusing as most clickers sound alike.

Now Ed, the question is what kind of line for the openface. I'm us
ed to baitcasters. Any suggestions?

Hay Fred, WUZZZZZUUUP!!

Long winter EH? Ready for some cat action like I am I bet?

The King Cat Combo is a good rig, E-Glass and tough. You should do well with that 10' near the dams.

The Shimano baitrunner has a clicker too, when in baitrunner mode you get to hear the line feed, still get the thrill bud.

Line choice can be super braids or mono, I like Sufix TriTanium and Berkley Big Cat for abrasion resistant mono. The Sufix is a good spinning reel line as it has no line spool memory in comparison to Big Cat.

I use up to 40 lb Big Game mono on my Shimano 6500 and it will still cast well with larger baits and weights. Lighter is more manageable, so just find a happy medium that fits your needs best in day to day fishing, maybe 25 lb?

Good hearing from ya Fred, keep in touch and see ya soon I am sure.

BE....><,,>

Hay Ed,

Thanks for the info! I think I'll go to EGF Cabellas and get a baitrunner and put that on that 10 ft. I'll just take the other reel off and whatever.

I didn't realize the baitrunner had a clicker. That was the only thing holding me back.

When me meet again, mebe the North dam in FGO-MHD. If not working the dam will try down river with both my Abu and Shimano. I'll sit between the 2. Stereophonic fishing eh.

That hole you told me about down there does produce results. Nice at night around the full moon.

Again, thanks for the info!

Hi All,

Don't want to start any rumors but my cousin said He read in a recent magazine about a 212 lb. Blue Cat caught in the Carolinas. I don't know the name of the magazine and didn't read it myself. Supposedly on rod and reel. Just wondering if any of you have info on that.

If true, JEEZ, what a fish! If not true just another fish story.

Hey Ed, my link to the catfish mesaage board doesn't work anymore. Did they go down or what? I remember you on there talking about boats with those people. I enjoyed talking wth them. Do they have a new link or are not online anymore? Thanks!

Hi Scoot,

I don't have a clue here as the water is high but going down. I live right on the river in MHD and can look out my window from 40 ft up so can let you know when accessible.

I also know a guy that works the toll bridge by the North dam and it was under water a few days ago. Mebe still is.

I'm chompin at the bit here so will let You know when can drop a line in.

Take care!

Scoot & Fred you may wish to try the big drainage ditch North of the Airport?

There is a culvert that is 300 yards or so from the main river and it is often a good spot when the water is high. Like a huge backwater if the drain is not flowing fast it is fishable. Big pike, walleye and cats can be caught there if the conditions are good. It is about 3 miles North of the airport and then you will see it.

Be careful near that bugger it is deep!

BE....><,,>

Thanks Ed,

I'll try that spot. Just antsi after the Winter and hard to find a place to fish when High water.

Mebe you remember but as busy as you are mebe not. I drive a Blue Custom 3/4 ton camper van. The tire cover in the back says Swenson. Can't miss it.

You too, Scoot, and any other fisherman. I'm usualy set up fairly well with bait and etc. Willing to help out anytime. Guess I'm addicted to the sport of fishing. Could be worse, EH?

This year will make it to the tournament in Manitoba. Hell or Highwater. Never been there before but will be there this year. Not to compete but enjoy the excitement!

Think I'll head for that drainage ditch now Ed. No baitrunner yet but have my abu in the van so will use that. Thanks for the info!!

Fred and Ed- hey, I rhymed! Thanks guys! I'm really getting the itch. My honey is taking off for the weekend so I'm hoping to get out and try something (once I'm done working on my boat).
Fred, I'll keep my eyes open for you.
Ed, are you still planning on fishing with my dad on the Red Lake this summer? He mentioned it the other day. If yes, I might try to weasel mysel into that outing if there's room for me.
Scoot

I'm afraid of no poop! If you'd like, I can even bring a couple of my little nephew's used diapers!
Speaking of funky baits for cats, have you ever used or heard of using goose meat for the whiskered buets? I was told that goose meat is an excellent bait, but I've never used it.
Scoot

Red Lake or Red River, whatever.

Have rod's will travel is my moto Scoot!

Sure your welcome if you can bait up all the poop bait we use for the cats?

LOL~~

ED

Hey Scoot,

Haven't tried goose but chicken seems to work well at times! Tough on the hook too. Chicken livers are hard to keep on my hook and messy to work with but qite productive!

Cheap chicken parts on sale work for me at times.

Also those uncooked jumbo shrimp at Hornbachers 7.99 a pd but go a long way.

Also Cattracker stink baits are good.

Ed'll tell you, and I'm a believer in frogs. A little spendy but Jeez. If nothing else works, try them.

Then again, sometimes the only things biting are the skeeters.

Take care,
Fred

Only the skeeters biting, I've never had a night like that... well, maybe one or two.
I went up and checked out the place Ed was talking about north of the airport- not good. The water was still had the road shut down to one lane in one spot. I'm not sure which sport Ed was talking about, there were two of them 2-3 miles north, but both have a butt-load of water still. The first spot has a posted sign so I hope it's not that one that he's referring to.
It looks like the rain is supposed to go south and east of here. I suppose it'll end up here regardless (unless it gets east enough)- we'll see.
Scoot

I forgot to mention, my favorite river bait is frogs. You can catch anything on those little sweethearts. I know Ed swears by the stink-bait early in the year, but I've had no luck with it. Maybe I'm using the wrong kind or not using it in the right application or I just suck- I don't know. I've used shrimp with some success, but it just seems like a waste to use if for bait- my fiance really barked at me last time I took it out of the freezer to use for fishing! They just don't understand!
Scoot

Scoot I like sour suckers early in the year & fresh cut sucker. Frogs are always a favorite for me as are hearing.

Paste scent baits are a bait of opportunity on the Red, late spring as the cats near spawning I break out the Junnie's Cattracker baits.

(TIP) Very muddy water is also a good time for dip baits.

Fred I was not sure of the water levels in the drainage ditch but if it is not fast, try it!

Ya-EH, it's a muddy fast mess yet but it is falling slow, we will be on the fish soon.

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

><ED ON THE RED>
[email protected]
(701)-671-3079

Heard today that the drop of the Red is supposed to be slowed considerably by the rainfall to the south. It sounds like it'll be in the mid-20's by Thursday- I think they said 26.something.
Anybody know the current river temp. I'm wondering about the walleye spawn this year. I wonder if the water will drop in a hurry and heat up even faster causing a really quick walleye run for spawning. It might make it really good if you time it right, but probably be over quickly. I don't care either way, I just want to wet a line.
Scoot

Hi Ed and Scoot,

Snowing pretty good here now. About Noon Sunday the 22nd. Kinda dampened my plans.

Yup, Suckers work well for me. Especially soured or cut baits. Yes, the Honeys get a little ticked off bout using Shrimp.

One thing that seems to work well most of the time where I fish Is Goldeye. Or some people call them Moon eye. Lake Herring being another term. They're thick down here in Fgo-Mhd. A little worm or even whole kernel corn and usually enough cut bait for a day or 2.

He Ed, Ever tried Carp for cutbait? Just wondering as normaly hook up with them if not baiting to large? Heck of a fighter but don't eat them.

Tahnks
Fred