• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall Red River Walleye

What have you guys found as an effective presentation for catching walleyes on the Red in the fall? Thanks in advace for any pointers any one of you might have. Bruce

1-Jig's with double tail white twisters tipped with a large fathead minnow. Sassy shads in 3-4" high contrast paterns.

2-Cranks that run 1-4' with a wide loose wobble.

3-Live bait slip rigs, suckers, frogs, big shiners.

4-Bobber rigs slipped down current breaks or behind snags in backwaters, set 1-2' off bottom.

Top 4 picks in my book.

All produce best in fall while night fishing!

BE.........><,,>

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce you still out there bud?

Whazz-up, piggy hunting or what?

Make sure you try the Hickson and South Dam's, try the MN side of the South Dam very near the Dam, very good! Use shallow runner cranks and keep them slow!

Keep us posted, ok?

BE.........><,,>

Thanks for the info Ed. Yes, I am still out there fishing the mighty Red but not as much as I would like! Work can sure get in the way of getting out and catching fish! I have been mainly fishing by boat from the Johnson Park landing the past few weeks. Have been having good luck using 6 inch river chubs on a jig with a stinger hook and vertically jigging the holes from an anchored boat. Have you been to the south dam by boat recently from the new boat landing by the mid town dam or are you fishing the south dam area from shore? I really haven't used crankbaits much when fishing the Red- guess I'm not sure how to fish them in the current with all the snags. Thanks for all your advice on this forum Ed. I have really found your posts helpful. Bruce

Hay there ya are!

Me, well I have been shore casting the Red mostly. Work has kept me out of the boat way too much lately. Low water makes the spooky clear water walleye a shore game in a lot of areas. Casting the Dams has been very Good!!

Your jigging up the holes may be a plan? Keep a eye on the tapered up stream side of the holes, ancore up and cast shallow runner cranks along the shore. Jigs too wouldn't hurt?

Good to hear from ya, keep them lines tight!

BE...........><,,>

• 3 weeks later...

Hay Bruce ya out there?

I have found a large amount of walleye relating to beaver dam's and kak's on the Red and it's trib's.

The bigger the kak and greaner it is the better. The beaver usually have then piled up on holes so the conestion may be two fold?

Dragging bulked up jig & minnow's on stand up style jigs seems to be the best rig. You find a few bonus cats too!

They like to set up like cats on these snags if ya know what I mean?

As the river rises look for them to move into feeders too, maybe not too far in but they will head up them! Again look for large kak's and snags! wink.gif

Good hunting/fishing, it has been very good!!

BE.....><, ,>

Hi Ed,
I put my boat away for the winter last week so hven't been out fishing lately. I am now patiently waiting for the frozen water season to begin! Bruce