• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Maple, Union? Anybody fishing?

Just thought I'd drop a post and see how the fishing has been on some of my old fishing lakes.

Walleye opener last year on Union produced 4-5 keeper walleyes for us with one pushing 6 lbs. The weather has been a little cold so I'm sure that has shut it down a little bit.

Maple Lake- It has been awhile since I've fished Maple but I know there are some good ones in there. Dad pulled a 8 1/2 pounder and a 4 pounder in the same night a few years back.

I won't be out on either lake 'til Memorial Weekend which is right in time for the big rush of pleasure boaters but maybe I'll get out for some night trolling and see what happens.

Anybody catching anything?

I was on maple on saturday, it was pretty slow, picked up two keepers in three hours. the water temp is only 45 degrees on the surface so it will take some warm weather and time before the walleyes start to turn on.

Went sunday night got 3. All were very nice. Water was 52 degrees fished very slow. Also saw two smaller walleyes and was told that other guys caught a few.

hanson, did you used to live near Union Lake? I lived within 3 miles of the lake for over 30 years. I didn't move far, about 8 miles from it now, but rarely fish it.

[This message has been edited by Kingfisher (edited 05-22-2004).]

Kingfisher,
My parents still have a trailer house on Union Lake, they've been there for about 20 years. I've since moved down to the cities and only make it up 4-5 times a summer now. The trailer isn't technically on Union but at the south end there is a channel that runs into Anderson Lake and that is where we are. There is a dam that separates the channel from our lake. When the water was way up before they started pumping the water we used to have incredible fishing back there. Since the water has dropped, the lake winterkilled again a couple years ago. We used to pretty much have the whole Anderson Lake to ourselves but the last 3-4 years have seen the remaining lots sold off and more people have moved in. frown.gif

hanson; I hear you, Anderson Lake is filling up also, same as all of Union. What kind of a dam is between the two lakes? I am assuming beaver.

One of the Andersons who used to own the farmhouse right across from the lake had put a dam in years ago, before they even started to sell the lots, made out of railroad ties & rock. It keeps Anderson Lake about 3' or so higher than Union. When the water started to come up, a beaver got busy and put in a real big dam along with a lodge. That held the water up for a long time until the water went up again 4 years ago or so. When the water was at its highest, you could navigate a boat betweent the two lakes with no problem. When the lake association started pumping the water out of Union, the current created between the two lakes pretty much washed both of the dams out. The original dam is still remaining but doesn't work as effectively now. Getting a boat between the two lakes is also impossible once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with all the rain that fell over Memorial weekend, didn't get too much fishing in.

Managed a couple hours between showers on Sunday fishing Maple right off the inlet and the fishing pier. Bullheads, bullheads, and bullheads. Should I have expected anything less. The one boat fishing next to us managed to boat 2 walleyes and a Pike and we saw someone on the pier land a walleye.