• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Erskine / Mentor Area Lakes

A family member recently purchased a piece of property near Erskine and has given me permission to use the house whenever. Just wondering about any decent walleye opportunities nearby. I know Maple has a pretty good reputation but I am not too familiar with it other than catching crappies out from the culvert in the spring. Any hardwater suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Seeker,

I wouldn't consider any of these lakes too great of a walleye fishery, but there are some to be had. The best local lakes I've had in the winter is on Union and Sarah. Good variety of fish, however no walleye's ever. I do also know some of the smaller "un-named" lakes can be good.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Thanks for the reply Hemlock. I'll just have to scout around if and when I get up there.

Lake sara has really went down hill the last 5 or so years. we used to be able to go out on the ice and caught all kinds of fish. but lately you dont caught much of anything even in the summer. we went out this summer and caught a few small northerens and that was it. we fished from 5 or so til bout midnight. only northerens.
maple has really been down also. but very early you can find some. other than that its tough with all the boat and snowmobile traffic. union havent fished much but here some reports on occasion. spearing in these lakes has really brought down the size of the northerns. hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're into panfishing at all, I'd hit Union early and often. There are a ton of bluegills in there and some big ones too!! 4 or 5 of us used to go out and catch our limit and then have a big fish fry. Not many people fish the gills on Union, but it is a lot of fun when they're hitting. Nice crappies too!! I'm into walleyes bigtime also, but a good panfish bite is just as much fun - plus its during the day - fish the eyes at night!!

FI

that is what i was kind of wondering myself were the local lakes doing anything and some set up spots for some pike walleye and some crappie on sarah and union you see some not alot big fish caught out of these lakes which i can be there and all set up in 45 minutes just get tired of all the long and late drives dont get me wrong i like to fish Lake of the Woods and Upper red just like to get on local ice and get some fish and another question why is there so little attention be paid to these lakes by the DNR as far as restock help out the small lakes would also help the local businesses it seens like the right thing to not just stock one lake and forget about everone else if you know what i am getting at