• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's biting below the dam?

Anybody been out casting lately? The last time I was home it looked like the river below the dam was opening up fast. Just wondering about H2O conditions and shore conditions.Later.

Tips, the water is lower right now than it has been in years. They cranked it down late Thurs or early Fri. A few small pike being caught. I hope the water goes back to this level after ice out. This remids me of how the water used to be as a kid. Are you heading back north before the end of the season or are you waiting for the river to open?

I fished last Sun. All the open water as far south of the dam as I could go. I did not catch one crappie. The warmest water I could find was only 32 degrees. I did catch and release 5 pike the largest was a fat 30 incher. 3 of the pike had lampreys on them and another had the scars of one. The water is the lowest I have seen at this time of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! We used to catch a ton of fish down there when the water was low. I remember wading out to the edge of the main river channel and tossing in a leech with just a light hook and no weight. You could watch the leech slowly float along with the current just under the surface until a walleye would shoot out of the weed edge like a little pike and grab the leech and dive.
Not much good for the cats when the waters that low though. Makes you kinda wonder where the crappies are gonna find cool enough water to live during the hot summer months if the water stays that low, or maybe even goes lower.
Weatherman says we're in for a hot, dry summer, and by the way it's been down here in southern Minnesota I'd say it's kinda lookin' that way.
Hope I can get up north and spend a little time on the water with you fellas this summer!

I live just east of TR on the red. They sure must be dumping a lot of water, river's really low. Canopy, if it stays low... I would say it's a good bet that you'll find an excuse to come "nort" for some fishing!!!

------------------
Old Guide Charters
Lake of the Woods
http://fishingminnesota.com/oldguidecharters/
Call Toll Free:1-800-952-(9484)

are you guys talking about the dam in thief river??? all i know is that there was a guy down there yesterday and all he caught was a little norhteren no crappies.

What's biting?

Rocks, rocks, snags, and boulders.

Oh, and one little nordern. So far that nordern cost 15-25 jigs.

Later