• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ralph Engelstad Arena

Hey I know this is way off subject, but what's people's reaction to "Wrapping up the Gift"? You know, the movement to raise 3 million dollars to finish off the Ralph Engelstad arena. I see they've already received 900 thousand in donations of different kinds.

I have a few questions. If this community could raise 3 million bucks, why should it go towards a high school hockey arena?

Is this community meeting the needs of it's citizens so well that we can concentrate our fundraising efforts on a hockey arena?

How are we going to pay the operating expenses for a building this size? I figure we'll realize the true meaning of "The Gift" next year, when we open up our property tax statements.

It's a tough criticism to make, because of Mr. Engelstad's generosity and then unfortunate death. I'm not trying to sound unappreciative, I do realize the incredible opportunity Mr. Engelstad has presented this city.

I would like to see the city do something right now, like trying to attract events to help pay for the cost of operation. It's obvious no one in City Hall knows how to manage a building of this magnitude.

I'm going to stop talking now, before I talk myself into running for office.

I know this has nothing to do with fishing, but it does have something to do with ICE smile.gif

Walleye Soldier, if you did talk yourself into running for office I know I wouldn't vote for you. I don't think it's any question that we will be able to raise the 3 million for the arena and you ask why we should. Have you ever thought about how many tournaments we can host and how good that is for town. Motels get booked, people go to restrauants, bars, shopping, gas stations, they spend alot of money in town. Along with G.F. we are hosting the World Junior tournament in 2005. They are expecting 15,000 people for that, while most of those people will be in G.F. there will still be alot of those people here. And I'm not sure but I thought if all the money got raised they would maybe have a hard floor in there so they could play basketball and volleyball too. With a gift of 10 million I think we should take advantage and try do something good for town, instead of complain about your property taxes going up 2 bucks year. Later, Stiffrod

Well said Rod! Hockey is a great boon for the TRF area. I'm still amazed their are students on the UND campus that say R.Engelstad was a person with alterior motives. C'Mon!!!
For the most part I think people in Minnesota have really good hearts, but there are sure a lot of em' around lookin' for something to gripe about!

I hope your vision of the future comes true. My post wasn't meant as a bitch session. If I came off that way, I apologize to any I offended. I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. Just wanted to hear other opinions, as I've heard many townspeople express the same questions I posted above. Since this forum has been dead lately, I figured this topic might liven things up a bit.

I agree that if marketed correctly, this arena could be a tremendously positive addition to our city.

By the way, relax, Walleye Soldier will not be on the next ballot smile.gif

As for the three million, my family will not be donating to this fund. Our charitable contributions are going towards the Violence Intervention Project, a battered women's shelter. Happy New Year

I feel that Ralph was very nice to have given that money towards a hockey arena. I also read that most of that 3 million needed will be tackled by bigger donors and not the citizens of TRF I hope. I do not want to see my taxes go up but I am sure they will. I would like to see our town spend more money on our schools. You watch our schools are going to have to cut lots of money because of the state's budget shortfall. Money I feel is more important to spend on education than a hockey arena used 6 months out of the year. That is my 2 cents worth.