• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FISHIN' OVER THE 4TH IN TRF

It has officially been confirmed! I'll be headin' up north to spend the weekend of the 4th of July on the Red Lake River, and the TRF Country Club...
Bringin' the whole "fam" so we're gonna be lookin' for any and all family entertainment that can be had for that weekend. What's gonna be happenin'? Water carnival? Fireworks?
I'm gonna fish early in the AM, and late in the evening, and golf in the afternoon. I'd really like to find some crappie fishing for the kids - we'd be fishin' from shore. Any tips?
How are the eye's bitin', any cat's? Sounds like I'm gonna need to bring up my own bait.
Anybody wanna get together for a little catfishin' gathering on the river some night (ie. July 3rd - 6th)?
I'd really appreciate any info you folks might offer. Thanks.

}<==========)"> - "I'm hungry!"

I caught some nice, (11-13 inch) crappies under 8th street bridge on saturday. A friend of mine also got some nice crappies and a couple of northerns a little ways below the dam. We'll have to keep you posted as to where we've been getting them once it gets closer to the 4th. Hey, maybe I'll see ya down on Waconia, i'm going down for a wedding the weekend of the 28th-29th. My buddy and I fished that lake quite a bit when I lived in down there.

Thanks for the info Wally!
Ya know, I was thinkin' maybe we should just put together a "catfisherman's gathering" somewhere on the river between TR and GF. We'd meet up at a spot around 6:00 pm and fish for cats most of the night. We did one down here on the Mississippi a couple weeks ago - fishing wasn't great, but we had a good time. How bout' July 5th or 6th? Any suggestions, anybody interested?

That sounds like it would be pretty fun. If i'm not up at LOW that weekend I'd be game for that.

• 3 weeks later...

This site is mighty quiet! Thought I better check in with you folks and see what's goin' on.
Anyone yankin' any fish outta the river up there, or is the water still a bit too wild? With all that rain I'll bet the crappies are gettin' pushed down from the Upper Red like crazy, huh?
Anybody interested in an evening of catfishin' on the river over the weekend of the 4th? Are there going to be fireworks or anything in TRF over the 4th?
Is anybody still above water up there??

C. Sam

thief river is still getting lots of water from the north, ditches 20, 27, 200, and elm lake had lots of water to move(lot of it off my wheat field and hay land). the red is starting to settle down above the dam, hope to roll up the last of the hay bales this afternoon and try some fishing in the smiley area. will post again if anything positive,

K2

Thanks K2,
Any Crappies biting up around Smiley, pike, etc.?
Anybody else up there fishing the river this weekend?

Sam,
The water below the dam has been dropping. I fished Thurs,Fri, Sat, all in the evening and caught and released over70 crappies, about the same amount of sheephead, 13 small northerns and 7 walleyes. Without being spot specific all of the fish were caught within the city limits, and all below the dam. I caught all of the fish on jigs and twisters or small crank baits. I havent used any minnows for a couple of weeks, however I saw a couple of kids using them and they did very well. I will be at the L.O.W. this week so good luck fishing. Dont stay in one spot too long, the fish are there. if you move around