• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crappies on Union Lake

This is the time of the year that they usually start catching a lot of crappies on Union Lake. Going to try by the campground this weekend, I'll let you know how we do.

Thanks,

Have fun fishing! At least some us us still are able to get out! Starting a family can cramp the style of an avid fisherman!
Remeber that guys. Didn't the DNR just recently lower the limit to Three children??????

Thanks,

Have fun fishing! At least some us us still are able to get out! Starting a family can cramp the style of an avid fisherman!
Remeber that guys. Didn't the DNR just recently lower the limit to Three children??????

I don't know where I am fishing this weekend yet. I have many options. This would be a good trip if I can catch some fish!

I have fished a couple of the lakes in this area during the spring. I haven't fished Union though. Where is the campground you are talking about? What is the depth you fish? What about Lures and bait? Typical Red lake fare?
What size are the crappies people catch through the ice on Maple and Union?

I don't mean to hound with all the question everybody, but no one likes to put all the effort into a long fishing trip to get skunked.

I'm thinking that ice conditions are still good with the recent cold snap. Am I I wrong?

The ice conditions are still very good. The snow will be nice so a person won't slip on his a-- so much. Fished Maple on Monday night with little success though. MIght try it this weekend. Good luck.

Union Lake Sarah Campground is the one I'm talking about. Take the gravel road that splits Union Lake and Lake Sarah apart. On the West side is Union, to the east is Sarah. I believe there are some houses out now by where you can usually catch some crappies. I'd say depth from 11 to 15 feet, they're often suspended this time of the year, so they're sometimes difficult to find.

The crappies aren't Red Lake size, but I have caught a few nice ones, and you can usually get enough for a good meal or two.

As far as bait, I've used waxworms, minnows, powerbait,...

Usually evening is better than during the day.

Hopefully I'll have something to report. If the weather is bad, I won't be going at all.

Hey Killer,
What other species do you usually catch there? Also, can a guy still keep perch?

Northerns mostly, a few walleye and perch. I think you can still keep perch. The guys on Winnie are going nuts over them yet.