• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mapping new water?

I was looking at the map for the Aitkin, Crow wing county area the other day as I often do. I typically try to seek out lakes that I think nobody would fish, and then see if there is a report on the internet about it. (and hopefully it has a public access too)

I found some of these lakes to be "hidden gems" so to speak.

Anyone have a story or two to share about an adventure to a new "secret treasure", whether it turned out to be successful, skunked, or eventful... We'd love to hear them!!! smile.gif

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

A buddy and I were looking at a map of the Moulton Lake area, and noticed a little lake out in the middle of the woods called Bass Lake. Moulton is pretty remote to begin with, and this lake was the better part of a mile through the woods, so we figured it saw no pressure. No pressure means big slabs, right?? The day we tried the new lake it was about -10. We walked half a mile through some nice thick brush, then about 1/4 mile through a swamp to get to the lake. There were 3 portables and a permanent on the lake. It took us 15 minutes to start the auger. We caught about 5 crappies - the largest was about 6". An older guy came over and asked us where we came from. We told him our ordeal, he kind of laughed and offered us a ride back to the truck. He took us down a nicely groomed trail - that led directly to Moulton Lake and our truck!! We haven't been back......

Good topic!

A few friends and I hit a small pond a few years ago in search of some crappies. We drove our wheelers down a powerline for a couple miles and then across a swamp. After fishing this pond for a couple hours with no luck we decided to do some exploring. We followed a small channel and found a bigger lake. We went back out a couple weeks later to our new secret lake and set up tip-ups and enjoyed a few brat & some brew. We caught a few small pike and thats it. We tried it again about a month later and on that small pond there were holes drilled everwhere and it looked like about 10 portables had been set up. We found out later that a few of our friends had tried the same secret lake. We take yearly trips out there but never catch anything but small pike.

Granny