• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
black max

BIG SANDY FISHING REPORT

black max

Well I can sure see why nobody wants to give any reports for this lake, the lake stinks! I have fished it a few times in the past couple years and the fishing just keeps getting worse.

I went up with the wife yesterday and we got 3 eyes (9,10,and a 15" eyes), but the highlight of the day was all the small....small pike. You couldn't even call these hammer handles. We also got a few 6" perch and thats it. We fished the humps, shorelines, and rock piles. The 15" eye was caught at 2pm, we couldn't even get any eyes to bite at sundown near some rock piles. Oh I forgot I got 3 rockbass also.

I saw the dnr reports and the few reports this year saying small eyes and smaller pike far and few in between, but I didn't believe that the fishing on that lake could be that bad. Sadly it is, if your thinking of going there for some fishing my advise would be just drive another hour and half and go to the lakes around winnie or on winnie. At least those lakes are still producing fish.

The dnr needs to do some serious stocking on big sandy, its a beautiful lake but just terrible for fishing....

Mark Christianson

Well I hope things turn around quick.

I have typically had superb luck on Big Sandy over the 4th.

I do stress "typically" though.

SCUMFROG

Black max, where were you fishing on the lake? We catch fish but it is slow also, but not that bad. I'll talk to the head of the Big Sandy Lake Association about stocking. (He's my brother-in-laws father.) and see what can be done. I know the dnr used to stock it.

huskiesplayer15

We have always caught nice fish by the federal dam. Why drive the hour to winnie when you can be almost an hour shorter and fish mille lacs? Imo, i guess, or 'wawa always throws out some nice eyes too. Or another idea maybe that this really isnt that typical of a summer so far, cooler temps, lots of precipitation. I guess I would be fishing my usual opener spots right now, not summer heat haunts, but who knows.
Best Fishes
Chris
Best Fishes
chris

black max

Well no I didn't cover every spot on the lake, but I did get to fish alot of classic spots where you would expect to find fish. I am not an expert on this lake by any means but I have been able to get some decent fish in the past anyway.

I could see on the lake as a testiment to how lowsy the fishing was going to be though, when I would throw out some marker bouys to mark out a hump or fast break; the boats would flock over and troll by thinking that I had found the mother load.

I guess the fishing this year just isn't that good up there this year. I am sure that some locals can find some fish, but are keeping it to themselves. I don't mind, I can find my own fish without a problem normally. As for big sandy, I think I will wait a while before trying it again. One important thing I have learned in fishing is I don't care how good you are, if the fish aren't there, or if the lake is off; then don't waste your time find another lake.

I still think that the dnr could really do some intensive stocking and make that lake a really good fishing lake. The lake has all the structure and shoreline senery to become the next lake vermillion.

Sand Burr

Black Max,
I was talking with swamptrout & wife from this forum a couple weeks ago and they told me something that they were told by the local DNR. 90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake. Sandy is exactly like that. You also make it sound like you covered the lake on that saturday. Impossible.... I try it every weekend. I will admit that the fishing has been slow this year but I went fishing with a jacket all weekend?.... Has been a very weird year.
Yep you are also right the reports have been slim in this forum but it has always been that way.
Reason I believe that is these lake are small around here and word spreads fast....

Keep fishin

Shannon

lindy rig

Well, was up from 6/27 - 7/2. Fishing was pretty slow for me too. Caught numerous small pike, but walleyes were another story. 3 small eyes was all I could land. Granted, I didn't fish all that hard, but sure thought I could do better than that. Ended up having a good time with skiing and tubing and relaxing.

Biglakeba$$ - Thanks a lot for your help.

Blackmax - I agree with your Vermilion comment.

Later all!

Mark Christianson

None of my spots worked Lindy?
Crud. I hope your thanks to me isn't sarcastic.... frown.gif

We got 20 walleyes over the weekend, a few pike, and some crappies. Biggest being 19 inches on the walleyes.
I had lots of bites that I didn't hook up on either. We had giant leeches, and some of the 'eyes were pretty small that we caught, so I think we were being pecked by some little fish. We did also lose a few fish that felt nice.
Most of the fish I caught were on crawlers, but they were the smaller fish. Leeches got all our "keeper" size.

lindy rig

Biglakeba$$- Nope, not sarcastic at all. Truly appreciate the help, but I just couldn't find em. Like I said, didn't fish all that hard. Had my sister and girlfriend in the boat most of the time, so was busy untangling them! At least we found some pike to keep them entertained.

I had a couple nicer fish on with crawlers and silver spinners, but never got them to the boat.

I've been firewalled out of my hotmail account here at work, so didn't have a chance to send you an email.

Sounds like you did quite well! Glad to hear it although a little embarrassing for me. oh well!