• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy Virgin

I have never been to Big Sandy and will be going up there this weekend to try and catch some fish. I have read the previous posts but most of them are pretty old. Any information on hooking into some walleyes, crappies or Pike would be greatly appreciated. Anything that they are biting on or where would be a good spot to try would be most appreciated. I don't even know where we are staying but I do know we will be on Big Sandy. Thanks.

A southeasterner.

I've been up at Big Sandy for 6 Memorial weekends now and a few weekends in between. I still haven't figured out the lake. There are some people on this forum that are far more knowledgable about the lake than I am... but I'll tell you everything I know about Big Sandy.

If you're going for walleyes...
go shallow...
No, shallower...
No, SHALLOWER...

I won't lie, I've caught fish in 25 feet of water, but I worked hard for them and I've had FAR more success in 4-6 feet of water than any other depth. I've never had much luck with mid-lake structure, there are hundreds of humps (seems like it anyways) that in any other lake would hold fish, but never SEEM to be holding anything in Sandy. But I'll keep trying the humps. Some day, maybe I'll find one that produces.

Evenflow

I will second the "Go shallow" for walleyes.

The deepest I have ever caught walleyes in Sandy is less than 10 ft.

In the middle of the summer, they are still shallow. 4th of July weekend has treated us very well for Walleyes.

Get a map of the lake. For 1 you can get turned around pretty fast and not know were you are. 2nd, there are rock pilles that will bust your lower unit. I've heard of plenty of people hitting them. And I've come close to doing it. My wifes family has owned land up there since the dawn of time, lol. Her uncle was the first person with a power boat on the lake. Find out were you are staying and let me know.

Just went on the DNR website and printed off a map. Lots of wholes and islands. Like a mine field for props. Don't know where I am staying, haven't found out yet, just know that I'll be meeting a couple of guys up there and that we are staying in an RV. I don't know if it's on a resort or not. I will try and stay shallow. Are they biting on anything in particular? Minnows, leeches, crawlers? Ary you lindyrigging in the shallows with a short leader? Or are spinner rigs working? I plan on picking up some more spinners this week and will make some longer snells. I can't believe the fish aren't in the holes on the map. Oh well, thanks for the info so far.

Try every thing till you find what works. It's hard to tell.

That lake is DARK water.
Seriously, don't bother going much deeper than 10-12 ft overall. You may find those tempting holes out in deeper water, but I have never seen anything come out of the deeper stuff.

I have had the best luck with lindys, and about a 3ft homemade snell(4lb test is what I always use), with a plain hook.

I've had occasional luck in deeper water,but better luck in shallow,4-12 ft.Rockpiles with slip bobber,jig or glow beed just above hook with a leech or minnow.

Good Luck.

Scumfrog,
I am not sure which one I hit yet but I marked it on the gps as we were trying to pry ourselves off the rocks. I thought I knew the lake a little better than my night vision proved. Will try to make my way up there over memorial.

96trigger,
Hammered copper, hammered copper, 4 to 8 ft long try them at all different lengths and speeds. If you end up staying at eagle point resort that is were I am and resided next to the bathrooms. Crew cab ford with camo on the bottom. The only other place will be the Corp. of Eng. campsite and is also a great place to stay. Leeches are working along with crawlers but minnows have been a little better dew to the water temp. Leeches are still curling a bit. Hard to say with all the rain it should be warming faster.

I took out the first prop of the year last weekend. I usually go through two a year. I like to get close (aka shallow!) Let us know where your staying and we will be glad to help.

Still not sure where we are staying. Haven't gotten ahold of my brother and he is setting this thing up. All the talk about rock piles have me bringing up my spare prop. What did you mean by hammered copper? Is it a copper colored spinner with a 4-8ft snell? I know that we will just have to keep trying different things to see what works. I am hoping the weather picks up. We have had 6 consecutive days of rain down here, it's getting annoying. I will be fishing however, rain or shine come this weekend. Thanks again for the info.

As I mentioned before, I've never done well on humps.
Would you guys suggest trying mid lake structure or shoreline sturcture? I've spent an aweful lot of time on midlake structure and it hasn't been worth my time so far... but I'll keep trying if it does produce at times...

Thanks

Hammered copper spinners.....
Start out trying 4ft then 5ft then 6ft....

Evenflow,
shoreline during primet time! Go to midlake structure when you get bored in the afternoons.

Thanks Sand Burr..
If you're on the lake this weekend look for a gray and red crestliner with an I/O.

Evenflow

I will second Sand Burrs suggestions.

are there any Resort`s on the lake for camping or cabin`s to rent thank`s

Thanks to all of the guys that helped us put fish in our boats. We had decent luck this weekend with Saturday being the only good day to go out and fish. We caught a half dozen keepers. Mostly on spinners, jigs, tipped with flatheads. All were in 7 feet of water. Had a great time up there, I really like big sandy but man can it get nast when the wind is blowing. We ended up staying at Aitkin Lake Resort. We had to travel a bit by boat to get to Big Sandy but it was nice to be able to fish the little lake when the weather turned nasty. the northers were biting at will on that Lake. had a lot of fun throwing at them but it was all C&R. I haven't got the knack yet of getting rid of the y-bone. We also hooked into some really nice crappies. Anyhow, it was a good time, did a lot of fishing and caught some nice fish. Thanks again for all the information.

Wow, nice job on the fish. Once again, I had difficulties finding the eyes. That lake always seems to get the best of me. A couple of Northerns for two days of pretty hard fishing was all I had to show for it. Pulled spinners w/shiners and leechesmost of the time.

Evenflow