• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bay Lake

Does anyone know how Bay Lake is for ice fishing? I always do really well there during the spring crappie bite, but I haven't seen much activity there during the winter. Shannon

if they are there in the spring (i know they are) theyre there in the winter. looking at the map there are a lot of holes and points that look promising. never fished it in the winter. had good luck in the summer out from hansens store. sorry i cant help more. if i were you i would go to the dnr web page www.dnr.state.mn.us and look at the map for it and try some spots. good luck and give me a report if you go out.
-kyle

i just talked to a friend that said they get them off of indian point on the northwest side

Fish over by Hansens on 6. Fish 150 yards in from the points into the bay. Arm length off the bottom. You will limit out on Crappies from 4-7.

Mike

Thanks for the info guys. I was just kind of curious about the lake this time of year. We really caught some nice ones out there last spring and it would be fun to get into some action now. I think I'll try it on Wed. after we get past this extremelly cold weather. Thanks again. Shannon

I cant remember how deep it is. 20'? There is usually a couple of houses in the spot Im talking about.

Mike--

thanks i might give it a try this evening or tomarrow afternoon. i will give you the report if i go

Whats the average size on those crappies? My friend tells me they're big.

------------------
eat, fish, try to sleep

ive heard that too. didnt get out tonight...to d@#* cold. maybe tomorrow after school.

Yea I might try it when I get back up.

------------------
eat, fish, try to sleep

Wow, I really nailed the crappie on Bay Lake. We fished in Hanson's bay for two days and didn't do much, so we tried to fish on the other side of the channel in 17 feet of water and finally found them. Two of us had our limit in less than two hours, one fish weighing over a pound and a half. Shannon

is the lake safe to drive on from the public access??? never ice fished it but have a place close by.

i was out today in hansen bay and got 1 and missed one. fished in about 18 ft. where are you talking about one the "other side of the channel"? thanks

I don't know if it's safe to drive off the access of not. I did drive onto the lake using Hanson's Store boat launch, off of 6. The ice was pretty consistant throughout hanson bay and through the first "channel", if you go further than that you'll have to do some investigating. I'm sure the ice is fine in most places but beware, there are some deep holes and I don't know if the lake has springs.

you can not drive a vehical from the battle point landing to hansons bay, the narrows south of the big island stays thin all year long

There is no reason to drive from the landing all the way across the lake to get to Hanson's bay. The Hanson's store owners don't seem to mind if people use their access. Of course, one should always stop in the store and politely ask if it's alright. Although I know they will say yes, I still stop and talk to them so they don't think I'm abusing a privilege they extend to us, the ice fisherman.

sorry guys i am not familiar with how it works in the winter time as far as places to get on and off the lake i am just used to the summer time!! but thanx for the info

the lake does in fact have springs and streams which come in and keep ice thin all year in a few places.

I think I might hit the lake this weekend, i let you know how I do.
Where is hansens bay from rutgers resort.

------------------
eat, fish, try to sleep

stay on hwy 6 south about 3 miles from rutgers, hansons is the polaris dealer on the right.there landing is right across the road ,i have never heard of them refusing the use of the landing. they are really nice people that own it