• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

info on Guide Service for Big Sandy wanted

My parents have a cabin on big sandy and my father in law will be coming from florida the first week of august. I have never caught any walleye or big crappies but I know they are there. I'm thinking about getting a guide when the father-in-law comes to town. Does anyone have any names or suggestions and or rates?
Thanks Brent [email protected]

Thanks for the tip. How do I find contact info for Mr. Johnston. Is he from Naviguides? I assume he is as that is the link on the post but whenever I assume.....

Moby -

I know there is a local guy by the name of Mark who guides in the area. He use to be part owner of the Hillcrest and now he runs the game farm just north of McGregor. If you can find their number you should be able to reach him there.

The Spook

Thanks for the info. Our cabin is straight off the road at the end of the point just past Hillcrest.

If you are near Hillcrest, anchor on one of the two rock piles straight out from Hillcrest, and bobber fish with a leech. You WILL catch an 'eye or two.
My in-laws have a cabin off of Bridge Road, and we catch a lot of walleyes on Sandy. July 4th weekend is fantastic for Walleyes, if you can stand dealing with all the recreational boaters. I have not missed an Independence weekend for Walleyes on that lake for years.

Biglakeba$$
Is it a long ways out or not too far? What depth am I looking for. I may make it up 4th but not sure yet. I'm hopeful. Thanks for the tip. I will definitley give it a shot the next chance I can get.

Not real far out. One is straight out from the resort, and the other is NE of the resort. Here is a link to the map on the DNR page. It only shows one sunken island, but there are 2 of them. Not real far apart.
http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/b0017011.pdf

biglakeba$$
Thanks again for the tip. Hope to get up for the fourth. Mr Johnston got back to me but unfortunatley did not know anyone that guides on Big Sandy. I'm really looking forward to trying those rockpiles. Are they good early morning?
I've caught some big rock bass in here. Are there large or smallies in the lake?

Morning I find, is always best on Big Sandy.
That is one heavily used recreational lake(big speed boats, skiers, jet skiers, etc).
Better to get out before the troops wake up, and start churning things up. Especially on those rock piles. That is the main drag for all the big boats racing from Bill Horn, back down towards the Pier.
Bass are a bit tough. I have had 2 Smallies come into my boat in 14 years on the lake, and they were both 19 inches, and caught the same day. None before, and none since.
I have never seen a Largemouth, but I know there are Largies in Aitkin Lake, which is connected by a channel near the dam.

Biglakeba$$
Perfect. I am an early riser and fish before the wife get's up. Then come in and take her back out waterskiing (not in the same boat). My current fishing boat is a Lund WC 12' so beating the traffic is definitly recommended.

Derek
How do I get a hold of Cory from Custom maps? I am not familiar with them? Do you know approximate fee for this service?

Tried and True suggestions for walleyes in the summer on Big Sandy. Hot days. Noon-3 p.m., and right before dark, slip bobbers with leeches or crawlers on green or chartreuse jigheads. Hit the humps and flats out on the main basin. Works everytime. This lake also has a decent population of smallies. I caught them upwards of 3 to 4 pounds..