• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
NoodleSalad

Lake Trout in Aitkin County

NoodleSalad

Thinking of fishing lakers. Any luck. I'm going to hit the lake- any tips? Looking at this weekend. Spoons I'm guessing. I don't know about lakers in the winter.

OUTDOORNUT

Trout fishing doesn't open until the 18th on any lake outside the BWCAW. Lakers throught the ice............there's nothing better. Try spoons, swed's, airplane jigs, tipped with minnow, don't forget the tip-up w/ a nice shinner too.

knoppers

noodlesalad, do you know something I don't. I don't think there are any laker lakes in aitkin cty. there are some stream trout lakes, thats all I know about. some of those allow no live bait. but for lakers, my best lure is a northland rattle jig, charteuesse, with a berkely power bait as a trailer-twister with glow, thats the best combo that I have used in canada, which we are returning to in 1 1/2 weeks, I can't wait:-)

NoodleSalad

I'll find one. -NS-

I am assuming that the pits near deerwood/crosby have lakers? Does anyone fish 'em in the winter???

Nels

The MN DNR has a listing of Trout lakes by County.
The only lake in Aitkin or Crow Wing with lake trout in it according to the list is Big Trout Lake. All of the others have steam trout, and are not open to winter fishing.

Nels,
Don't trust that search. I used to live in Nashwauk and fished the pits up there all the time, almost every pit on the Mesabi range has lakers, yet, you would never know that by doing a search on MNDNR's page.

NoodleSalad

Nels- First time on BT. this Sat. I've been doing some research and feel very confident in my quest. It's what I do and if they're there I'll be on them for sure. Educated time on the water= Production. Hope the weather stays stable. -NS-

NoodleSalad

Chiro- I plan on targeting Lakers. Have you found them here and there-fishing for bows or do you hit them up? -NS-

NoodleSalad,
I have not yet targeted lakers in this area. I did troll for bows with great success at pennington pit near crosby but, can't seem to find anyone who targets these during ice up???

Nels

Most of the mine pits (including Pennington)in Crow wing county are designated trout lakes, and are closed to winter fishing for any species.

If anyone does know of a lake that holds Lakers in Aitkin Co. and is not a designated trout lake, I would be very interested to know.

knoppers,
Come on man, what if Erika's parents or friends were reading this post...poor judgment! I am not trying to personally attack you, just think its not a joking matter especially for those of us who live near the family.

knoppers

sorry chiro, wasn't thinking clearly, post is gone.

NoodleSalad

Fished Big Trout Lake on the LT opener. Couldn't find the lakers but found some perch that would hit on shiners! Typical basin transitions- Deep though.

NoodleSalad

Fished Big Trout Lake on the LT opener. Couldn't find the lakers but found some perch that would hit on shiners! Typical basin transitions- Deep though.

knoppers

noodlesalad, check the structure in the lower center of the lake, I get them there in the summer downriggin'. and by the way, I am off to ontario for some laker fishin' there, can't wait, we leave in 5 hours;-). just courious, noodlesalad?

NoodleSalad

Knoppers- What structue are you talking about? Have you seen the new map -www.dnr.state.mn.us. (Lakefinder) It might of been done using GPS. Nice map though.- My buddy is giving me sht for fishing Lakers this far south- I want to give him the last laugh! Thanks for the help- -NS-