• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy and Minnewawa

I am going up to the cabin Thursday. Need to know if there is fishable ice yet. Hate to be up there with nothing to do

I was up at our place on Minnewawa last weekend. No one was out on the ice. I didn't go over to the narrows, but did check the ice in front of our place on the west side. (get there off hwy 14). We had maybe 2" of ice, but with the cold temps this week it should be good to go this weekend. The lake is pretty much froze over. There were some small wet spots in the snow out in the middle of the lake.

Sorry, No you will not see me at the narrows. Family holiday stuff. Wouldn't you know first ice lands on a holiday. One of these times we have to meet up in person. Always nice to you a friend in the area!!!

Sorry, No you will not see me at the narrows. Family holiday stuff. Wouldn't you know first ice lands on a holiday. One of these times we have to meet up in person. Always nice to Have a friend in the area!!!

Thanks for the report. I will see you out at the narrows. Crappies should be biting and during the day northerns will be everywhere.

5 inches of ice in the narrows. I got out a couple of hours and did well on crappies. With this cold weather I can see house being pulled out next weekend. The main lake should be ready to go

Yes I have met Ole. I use to own the cabin two down from his on the left. then we moved down the road. I had a beer with last winter at my old cabin. The new owners know him well and we know these people. I had neve caught a winter walleye on that lake and was told that walleyes do not bite during the winter. Ole said he caught one in the narrows the previous night on a small crappie jig. Sure enough I caught one the same way the next night. Nice guy, he knows the lake well.

Crappieman,
I will be up if everything goes well on the 14th to fish with ole and some of his buddies. If you see a bunch of blue fish traps that will be us. As for the eye's we have never done well in the winter. If you get one it is a bonus and he sure does know the lake and most every lake in the area. Mike Smith

Hi D-Man
I am not sure about the gills. I am going out this weekend and will report back next week. I still want to meet up with on Mille Lacs for a day. I plan on trying to get up there during my winter break. Dec 21-Jan 5.

Hi Mike
Where are you going? I am sure they are still hitting in the narrows. Pike and Crappies. Did you see that outdoor news is FINALLY reporting condtions from up there. Willey's report walleye were hitting in 12 feet of water in the afternoon on wawa. I think I am going the sunken islands in the main bay.

The crappie and walleyes are hitting in the narrows.. Sorry did not get to the gills. Houses are on the main bay. Plan on fishing there next weekend. First time since I have been on the lake (99) that walleyes were hitting with size in the narrows.

• 2 weeks later...

just got home from minnewawa very good ice 12-14" a little snow on top makes travel very easy. Fishing was very slow 2 northerns and 1 crappie. Trucks and cars everywhere on lake.

I was out yesterday on Minnewawa right where all the other houses were in the middle and we caught a few nice northerns and a dozen or so nice sized crappies. Bite was pretty slow after the noon hour.

fished wawa thursday thru sunday. Caught all i wanted. Nice gills and very nice crappies.Pleasant point.

Towards Horseshoe lake east end can't miss it ther are quite a few permanant shelters fish west of them.

Hey All,
Thought i would throw out a little info on this lake. This Lake is more of a bug lake in the winter. Have caught more eye;s on bugs then anything else. I have for the most part in the last 15 years caught most of my larger fish on Shiners and while jigging for panfish,lake shiners. Larger pike can be had using the double fathead trick.

Was on Big Sandy this weekend. 23 foot of water off an 8 foot shelf. Many pike up shallow on tip ups with shiners. Biggest was 7 pounds. 2 crappies (slabs), 1 huge rock bass and one tiny walleye. Fish on the vexilar all weekend. They would come up, look and go right back down. Frustrating. We also had fish consistently coming through at 12-15 feet. Not sure what they were..

We did. Every color, every size. Even went as far as barely lifting the spoons off the bottom.. nothing... lockjaw..