• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone seeing any Ducks or Grouse?

I was up last weekend and we had 44 mallards on the dock. Lots of golden eyes that had nests on the lake. There have been a few geese in the ares mostly small groups of 2-6 birds.

------------------

I went to Rice lake national wildlife refuge and saw quite a few teal. Its tough viewing because of the thick vegitation.

I got a cabin on Minnewawa two years ago. I hunted a lot with my grangfather in Illinois years ago. Last year I started to Grouse hunt and loved it. I would like to start duck/goose huntinfg and am looking for advise for a beginner. how would I find areas that are available to hunt? Thanks for any advice for a beginning waterfowler.

Minnewawa is an ok lake to hunt on just go to any of the samll points in the south arem of into either end of the north arm. There are quiet a few small lakes in the area that will also hold birds. The best thing I can tell you to do is drive around to some of the little local lakes and checks them out. The big sandy flowage is also a very good area. Good Lucj

GPFEIFER: If you know where Willy's is ,take the dirt road west from there. Canoe country because of the rice.Get's busy in there sometimes but there is a lot of area to hunt. Have to be willing to paddle or row a ways. I hunt mostly south of there with a friend at his cabin,but will pop into that area once in awhile to the father in-laws cabin on Big Sandy.

Precious few ducks in the Annandale area, which is inconsistent with the abundance of water this year.

Duck migration thru here seemed slim last year, and perhaps this year will be even less.

We do get an annual migration of swans -- and, of course, Canada geese are plentiful.

More water means more places for the ducks to sit. They are here! Everyone talks about how bad it was last year. We did really good last year. Only one weekend was slow.

• 1 month later...

grouse are pretty sporadic north of aitkin and west of there but if you actually get in the timber and look for them it pays off. as for the woodcock they might as well put them on the endangered species list.