• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnewawa Report

How did everyone do? I wasn't able to get on the water this last weekend.

No real luck with any crappies. Got (8) walleyes between (2) boats on Saturday &Sunday. Very light bitters. Lots of northerns. Wondering if water temp. not up yet for crappies in the shallows? Very Cold Fishing!!!!

There are a lot of Northerns in that lake.
What did you use to catch the Walleyes.. I have used slip bobber with shiners and leeches, but I have heard that jigging a shinner in 6 feet now will boat a couple.
I would think the crappies will be in the shallows this weekend or next (I hope)
I am moving this weekend, so I won't be up there until M-Day weekend

I plan on using a jig and minnow on M-Day early in the morning. I hope the crappies are up shallow still. I have some kids coming with me. I need to go bobbers. I might try to set some bobbers up to drift to wind blown shores. You know the point coming of Sheshbe and the reed islands are good place to try bobber. Did you try drifting the narrows?

We caught ours on jig and minnow in 6 to 8 feet. Switched to ultra-light rod W/ 6 lb. test due to the very light bite. Also fished the wind blown shores.

We did not drift the narrows. There were a lot of boats over there on Saturday & Sunday.
We did try to drift the area up by the inlet to Horseshoe but only got a few northerns. Water still too cold for the shallows. I was hoping to fish crappies this weekend, but it looks like it is going to be cold AGAIN!!! Some days of mid 60'S would be nice.

So how did you do this past weekend Gpiefer? I WILL be on the water this weekend. I think I will go after crappies, but if the walleyes are biting I will switch. I will be in a red lund with two 13 year olds.

Only got a few small northerns. Didn't fish long, had family up for the weekend. Looked like everyone was moving around a lot. Most boats anchored near the narrows. Might be able to get out this weekend, have a long list of things to try to get done. My son, wife and I will probaly be out in pontoon.(tan and blue Premier). Good luck!!!

Well this weekend on Minnewawa was interesting. Most fishing location that would have fish this time of year did not hold fish, while other did. You can catch every type of fish right now. Northerns are hitting any thing at 4-10 feet. Crappies are hitting minnows in about 8 feet of water. You have to work for these, they are bunched up, but there are very large one . These were hitting small shinners!!! Walleyes can be caught at about 8 feet with a jig and minnow or slip bobber and red hooks. Sunnies are hitting shallow with pan fish leeches. Did not here any reports on bass. I would say the lake is about a month behind in location, but coming on fast with the warm weather This weekend should be very good with the staple warm weather ahead. How did everyone else do?

Look for sunnies on the North side in the small bays just north of the narrows ( and east of the narrows) There were a few boats back there.

Same here. I did not find any schooled biting fish. Caught one or two then all quiet. Hoping that this warm weather brings them around. Where do you tend to go for the sunnies? We caught or crappies on minnows and the sunny on a worm and hook.

I don't know. With this warm weather I think they will be shallow this weekend. D-Man do you guide during the summer on the Big M? I know we did not get together during the winter, but I would like to get together this summer. I have nevered fished Millacs.

We were up last weekend to fish for gills, right in the middle of the contest (boy next time I'll look closer at the calander). We found lots of fish in shallow but most were in the 6-8oz range we managed to pull two that were close to 3/4. One of the big things we notice was the lack of vegetation. I've been up there fishing for the last fifteen years and can't remember going to the areas we went to and not seeing any sign of lilly pads or grass or new cabbage coming up at this time of year. I think crappieman is right on with his perdiction of the lake being a month behind. How long will it take for that cover to fill in? Anyway had lots of fun, brought home enough for a good meal but am looking forward to wrestling with the big boys.
A funny thing happened to use during our trip that I would say hasn't happened to many. We were fishing pretty close to shore and could actually see the gills laying in about two feet of water. We had caught and released 20-30 when all of a sudden a big black lab came walking up to watch us. As soon as I threw my line in this dumb dog thought we were playing catch and jumped right in after my bobber. I had to real up as fast as I could so he didn't grab it. Well he swam right out to the boat and just hung there so I took my rod and thumped him on the nose and he swam back to shore. Then he turned looked at us and waited for us to cast again, well the same thing happened again and again. We tryed for about 45 minutes to fish and finally had to leave because he had it so stirred up you couldn't even see the weeds anymore. I've been chased off a lake by many things before but never a dog.
Good fishing to all and remember crappiemans advice to release the big ones and only take a few to eat.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to get these reports going again. The Blue gills are hitting hard at 3 to 5 feet by the reed island. Big slaps. Does not matter what you put on, but leeches are working gerat. Remember throw back the bulls, but YOU will get enough to eat within an hour.

There are several island through out the lake. IF you are after sunnies, any weed line 3-5 feet will be great. I used a #8 hook with pink or green color, but I think you can use any color and they will hit. Make sure you leeches are lively. Willey's leeches are very good right now. Make sure you let your bait drift in. This weekend should be very good with the stable weather.
Good luck

There are reed islands throughout the lake, but if you are interested in sunnies, look to the weed edge 3 to 5 feet. I used #8 hook any color will work,but I used pink. Make sure you have very lively leeches and let the bobber float to them. Willey's has good leeches, at least last weekend they did. You will go through a lot so you might want to get some from Vidos down and save $. I am not sure about the crappies, but I have the feeling that they are on the deep weed edge and I would use a minnow and plain hook. Look for a wind sweep edge. If calm, I would wait until evening and then work the edge. Well thats my advice any others?

I have not fished that area yet, but I am sure they are in there. They are shallow now.

any recent updates on the lake. I am heading up tommorow. we have a place by the weed bed in the southeast bay, east of the public access. Any help would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to Wawa this weekend and looking for the hot spots. We fished the evening bite or lack there of last weekend on several of the reed islands. Are they still biting on the #8 hook colored green or pink with leeches or crawlers? Any help would be wonderful. Thanks-

------------------