• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We're planning a family trip to Big Sandy Lake in July...Want to know--Where are the walleye biting that time of year? Any of you Walleye Anglers know?

Wow! I'll be on Big Sandy July 7th.(God willing) I'm dropping my two oldest off at camp in McGregor.
My goal is to catch enough for dinner, preferably crappies and gills. Any special advice for that time of year? What depth should I start looking at?

Thanks

if you guys are planning a trip to sandy in july the walleye bite should be good. your best bet is to fish in 8-15 feet of water better under 12. any structure in the main lake is good with slip bobs or jigs. trolling lindies on sandy shorlines with a leach is also good. the river mouth can be good depending on if you can keep the rock bass off. troll from the bridge to the mouth on the prarie. you will have to go to aitkin lake for the sunnies, but the crappies will be holding under the swimming docks in the shade. trole up to them if there is no swimmers and cast a small jig and minnow next to or under 1 or two per dock is good

Good luck

I have been fishing Big Sandy on and off since the mid 70,s. The best times are from 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after the 4th.We have had the best fishing on dead calm, bright sunny days. The water is very dark stained. The presentation we use the most is 3-4' lindy rigs with leeches or crawlers hooked through the tip(minnows work best in the spring). We slow troll in 8' depths.We have found that because of the low visability a slow presentation works best when jigs or crankbaits aren't producing. If you use a spinner on your rigs expect alot of biteoffs from northerns. Hopr this helps. Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Look to the weed lines. This is a great pattern for this lake. Fourth of July weekend is nuts on this lake, but by the 7th it should start claming down. With the stained water fish hold shallower than you would think. Try the shallow reefs behind battle if you can stand the traffic. if you fish lindys go with a short leader and fish slow. Don't over look the crappies either.
If you get a chance get up there between opener and memorial. Very easy pattern and bigger fish

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going up to Big Sandy for the last 15 yrs, my family and I stay at the federal campground. If you plan on catching walleyes I would make sure you have a back up plan. The last couple years it's been hard to catch them, and if you do, there usually small.
I personally like Atkin lake. I've caught some huge sunnies, a lot over a pound.
One question for you guys, has anyone caught any crappies on Atkin, and if so where and with what.
I usually fish in the little lagoon, with leeches or night crawlers in around 7 ft of water.
Any help would be great, thanks guys.

HWD

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I am Eric. I live on big Sandy and fish it year round. I was born here. The best fishing for crappies is early in the morning under the docks. If you like to fish walleyes the best spot is in the river around late may early june. They also bite good up by the rocks and shallow areas. If youn all have any questions just ask.

------------------

Eric will you be out this weekend? If so I'll see you on the lake are the walleyes still in the sandy river? My neighbor caught a few last weekend crappie fishing.
Good luck hope you stay dry.

hey my fellow fishers
Yes i will be out this weekend. The forcast is for rain but it looks nice today. Ill be fishing W/my dad (russell) either in Portage river or by the culverts in bell horn bay. I thought i posted a reply to D-man last week about the temp but i dont see it up there so sorry. The temp is about 45-50 now, it was warm today. Well goto run so see you all out there tomorrow.

------------------