• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Farm Island Lake

I have fished Farm Island several times and have caught very few walleyes. I consistently catch small pike and decent largemouth, but I can't find out how to catch walleyes consistently. I have fished the islands and Johnson's Point, but not a lot of luck. I would really appreciate any tips I could get for walleyes, crappies or bigger pike. Thanks.

Ricky, I know this info is about a month old, but it might help you. In the bay to the east of Johnson's point there is a deep hole and probably still a small group of houses there. They will be fishing crappies starting about a half hour before dark. All of the crappies that we caught there about a month ago were real nice. We also picked up a walleye there. We also talked to a guy who was spearing near there in 18' he had a lot of walleyes coming through in the afternoon. He had tried jigging for them and did get some. The northerns use this same edge also.

Are you refering to open water? Farm usually is better for open water walleyes at night or at dawn. Spinners and minnows with bullet sinkers along the weed line. You can also get them on the sunken humps with a 1/32oz jighead,leech and a bobber combo. Make sure you watch the regs. Farm has tight regs on walleyes..

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Thanks for the tips guys, I was referring more towards open water. D-man, are you referring to the hump in the middle of the NW bay, how shallow does it get? I always seem to get stuck in weeds when I try to slip-sinker fish in anything shallower than 15 ft do you guys find this too? I think the regs are throw back 16"-19".

Farm is best in the early season,opener to late june. Fish when the weeds are still low. The sunken island in the middle of the NW bay tops out too high. Its actually a prime spawning bed for crappies. Farm Island(the acutal island) has a nice sunken island on the Nw side. It tops out at 13 feet. Any of the sunken islands that top out more than 10 feet all hold fish. Its best to bobber fish or fan cast shad raps after dark. The island also has some great points that extend from it. These are the points you want to follow with a spinner/minnow combo. If you run into weeds your to shallow, you want the follow the edge of the weedlines or get real close with bullet weights. Farm Island is on the Lakemaster CD-ROM map disc and has some great detail. www.fishingminnesota.com/lakemap/

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Thanks for the info wishin'. Do you troll with the big motor, trolling motor or drift the minnow-spinners combo's? I have trolled lindy rig's with leeches outside the weedline and caught some, but they are few and far between. I don't know if they get spooked or not when I troll the big motor. Is the most action usually around sunrise/sunset hours? And what depths are best? I think the weedline is 13 ft. so as close to it as possible? Do you have any luck near the culvert to Little Pine? I am 22 and my dad has a cabin on FI but doesn't fish much so I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks.

RickyP, I have fished FI for almost 40 years and the walleye fishing in the last 5 years has never been better. Approx. half of what you catch is in the slot but the average size has definately increased. A spinner/minnow combo works all year (shiners early, redtails in the summer) but it is hard to beat a jig/shiner the first couple of weeks. Every bay has several underwater points that hold fish along the weedline. Early season the fish are up in 8-9 feet of water. As the weeds grow up you will need to continue moving out. I very seldom fish the underwater humps, there are many. Walleyes hang along the weedline all year long and are very accessible. The west shore also has a couple of excellent underwater points that do not show up real well on lakemaps. Do some exploring and you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck, keep us informed how you do this summer.

In the summer I have caught eyes from 13 ft to 25 ft. Many times they are tight against the weedline on the brightest days. I troll with a bowmount electric. I think the recreational traffic on FI has alot to do with the bite and where the active fish are located.
Opening weekend you find people fishing off the road over the culvert and out in front right at midnight. I'm sure they catch their share. Good luck.