• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

minnewawa gills

I'm a first timer to this forum so be gentle with me. Any ideas on where to start the winter hunt for gills on wawa? My parents have had a cabin there for many years and I have a very good idea where to go in the spring and early summer but never had much luck in the winter. The only spot I've tried is the narrows any place else a little less populated? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I am back from the woods. fishing was ok. I have had better years. I would look for gills along the weed edge by the sunken Islands in the main bay and along the weed edge to the drop off on the channel from the narrows to the two reed islands towards the main bay. I am no expert on these. Make sure you bring plenty of Eurolarve and get this from Vados on the way up on 65. This is much better than any you would get up there. I got a 15 inch walleye on a glow jig and maggot in the narrows this year (go figure). D-man how was Mille Lacs? good luck. C & R smile.gif

Crappieman/ My Mille Lacs trip was cut short due to an auto accident to my friend. Hes out of the hospital now. Iam headed back up this weekend to try it again. The walleyes were goin nuts and we found some nice perch. Did my minnow advice work for LOTW? I have a guide trip again this weekend.I have a guy fishing with me for three days. May try to hit little pine for some slab crappies one of those days. PCG/ Any word on little pine? Any gills out of G yet?

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

I have only fished it myself in the spring. Crappieman is the guy to talk to. He has been looking for them in the weeds. I wouldnt expect to much information as you probably know the gills are huge. But hes the best contact right now, he has a cabin on the lake. He may still be in Lake of the Woods but he should be back now.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

• 1 month later...

Gill TEE, I was just up on Minnewawa and caught some very nice fish in the narrows 15 to be exact all were 8 1/2 to 9 3/4". I hav efound many ways to get these. But dawn and dusk are the best. Waxies on a small dead teardrop and a small float and i mean small. I also get them on my jig pole light line 4 pound with a 4 foot leader of flourocarbon tied on. white teardrop or yellow and black moon glitters work well for me. i have caught some that can fill the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket some years. The old rice bed areas still will be holding fish right now. Smitty

Gill tee I have fished Minnewawa for gills everytime i go to minnesota, for the last ten or so years. I had a aunt and uncle that used to live on the lake and still have a cousin and her husband Ole that have a cabin by the narrows there. We always do well on sunny's there all winter and some other spots. I was up last weekend and caught a few nicer fish. usually we fish with a small teardrop and small bobber 2" from the bottom. Some of the fish will fill the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. You will not get many of these as they catch on to color and such. need to switch often colorwise