• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I will be up to potato lake fishing next wednesday thru saturday and was just wondering how the fishing has been for walleyes and northerns. what depth and presentations are working. Also what other lakes in the area are producing fish thanks

i fished Potato this weekend.. but i fish bass. the water temps were between 62 & 65. the fish seem to have started to move shallow, but i think the water temps may need to drop a few more degrees before the fishing gets real good. i did manange to catch some good eating sized pike on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits near the bullrush edges where there is cabbage near by. if you want some ideas for pike fishing on Potato i can give you help.

most of the good pike fishing can be found in the west arm. find the bullrushes and just out from the bullrushes in most spots you will find submerged cabbage. if you wan to troll i would troll above or on either side of the cabbage. casting can also be fun. if you work the trolling motor along the outside edge of the cabbage and cast towards the bullrushes you should have some good success. also in the main body of the lake just around the corner and south of the west arm is a good area of rushes/cabbage and then keep going south past the sand flats near the condos and you will find some more. this is a good spot if you need to get out of a westerly wind. another good spot would be along the north shore of the main body. there is a good drop off with loads of cabbage and boulders. there are no bullrushes here but plenty of good water. finally, at the south end of the lake on the east side (just north of the sand flat) you will find another bunch of rushes/cabbage.

as for presentation you can hardly go wrong with spinnerbaits (white or chart.) and also buzzbaits work great this time of year. as for trolling most any crank bait that hits the depth you are looking for and replicates perch or "cisco" (blue, silver or white)

you probably may hook into some big bass as well when you are near the bullrushes. if you don't mind i would love it if you threw them back (they are my babbies) keep as many pike as you want.

when you are in town stop into Northern Bait and ask about the Walleye fishing. that really isn't my area of interest. they should be able to help with anything you need.

good luck

andy

Fished Potato last Thursday (9/30). All fish were either C/R or C/P/R. Caught my largest walleye of the year - 27.25". May have caught one of "sami's" bass (18" LM) as I could tell it had been stuck before. The bass, LM/SM were quite active. Pike and Walleye were on the slow side and still seemed to be in their late summer patterns. Had a great day and hope to try it again next year.

Fishook...

glad to hear the big Tater gave up some fish. there are some big fish in that lake. where were you fishing? i have caught quite a few bass over 18" in there, the biggest going 20 1/2.

andy

I had my best luck on the east side of the south arm as the wind was blowing in there. Caught most of the LM/SM on the north end on the flats where the bullrushes extend out. Tried the deeper water on the north shore right where the east arm begins. Marked fish in 35+ but they didn't seem to want to cooperate. Didn't have any luck as well out front of the rocks at the Pines. Do you by chance know the Donahues who live at the mouth of the Potato/Eagle river where it flows into Potato?

i don't think i do. do they have the place with the 2 boat lifts w/ maroon canopys?

Samio15
The fishing was the worst that is ever was for us in the fall. We caught no walleye and 2 northerns. This is the 4th year in a row the fishing has been beyond bad. If it were't for the folks having aplace on the lake I don't think we would drive 500 miles every year.

They live in the mobile home on the east side of County 40 south of the bridge. If you were to head up the river to Eagle, they are on your left just before the bridge. Very nice folks who my wife and I got to know. I told them about the FM site and that there was always some discussions taking place about fishing on Potato. Just thought you might know them too.