• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Park Rapids are walleyes

I'm headed to Park Rapids with the in-laws the third week of August. My Father-in-Law and Brother-In-Law have the idea that I can take them out and catch walleys while the girls shop.
One problem, I have never fished the area before. I have always fished LOTW Ontario and Devils Lake.
So I'm basically starting from scratch.
I would appreciate any advice on catching some eye's near Park Rapids since we are staying right in town.
Thanks much and wish me luck with the in-laws.

Check the "Long Lake" post on this forum.

I'll be there in 4 days. I will report my results when I get back.

Thanks Team Otter,
I read through it and I think I may be able to find an eye or two. Long Lake is on the east end of town, correct?
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

There are plenty of lakes in the Tamarac Refuge that although are shallow, hold some decent walleyes. Most are stained water so they can be good during the day. Tamarac, Waboose, and Shell are a few. Just fish the weededge near the deepest water with spinner rigs pulling crawlers or fatheads and you should get a few.

Fisherdog

------------------
Quality Bait & Tackle
Detroit Lakes, MN

There are tons of good eye lakes over there. Unfortunately, it's not the best time of the year to fish em'

Big Sand.
Fish long lined lindy rigs with leeches or redtails in 20-35' of water.
At night, troll long bodied stickbaits over the deepest water out there. Use your locator to find baitfish. Planner Boards help.

Otherwise,
Leech, Big Toad, Crow Wing Chain, Potato, and many others I haven't fished!

Well, I have returned from my vacation with the wife and family and thought I should post my report.

Fished Long Lake Wednesday through Saturday. Good to great results every day except for Friday evening because of the storms.

We picked up 18 - 21" fish (and a few smaller) on cranks behind boards on the edges of deep weedlines. I could not get the suspended basin fish to go at all, although I did mark plenty of fish. Our biggest fish was 21". We probably caught and released 20 - 25 walleyes every day. Of course, there were a few northerns and bucketmouths mixed in.

I was running #5 wally divers and shad raps anywhere from 75 - 140' back and holding my boat between 20 - 26 feet of water. The weedlines I was fishing started at about 18 feet and were all close to deep water. The walleyes that we caught were absolutely crushing the bait.

Over all, a pretty darn good bite for the time of year. Water temp on the surface was hovering right around 70 degrees F.

Good luck to all and keep your tip up.