• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a quick report on Long lake. Our family has been renting a cabin from Cedar Shores for a number of years now. Due to the cold temps this year I noticed that the weed growth was not as it had been in the past years. Fishing was terrific on the lake this year. I usually go out only in the mornings while the wife and kids are still sleeping. I'm usually finished by 8:30 or so. I've learned over the years the the best way for me to fish this lake is to use three way rigs and gold or silver colorado blades that are about the size of a quarter. Crawlers with circle hooks are all that I've ever used for natural bait. The other thing that has worked well is to go out in the middle of the north basin and to pull deep diving baits in that 20-30 foot range. We do this all year long on Mille Lacs,speeds are1.3-2.0mph. Also take the boat in and out of gear every so often, even back up a foot or two and BOOM the walleyes just crush the lures. Good luck everyone. I'm not to hard to find because my Gordon Setter goes out with me every morning and sits on the front platform while I'm fishing.

Bird Dog, I have been going on a family vacation to Long Lake for 4 years now.

I will be there this year the first week in August.

I have had great success for 'eyes on the lake each trip pulling cranks behind boards, both on weedlines and in the north basin.

What style crankbaits are you using? How much line are you letting out? I have the best luck in the north basin with big reef runners with 150 - 200' of line out. Along the weedlines I have the best luck with #5 wally divers and rip shads with 90 - 110' of line out.

It is fun catching mid-summer suspended fish. They always seem to just crush the bait.

Thanks for the report. Definitely a confidence booster knowing I'll be there in a couple of weeks.

The two lures that I've had the best luck with are reef runners and the old style deep diving thunder sticks. Best two or three colors are the fire tiger,wonderbread and the blackbones patterns. As far as the thundersticks go the best patterns seem to be the reds and blues with the silver lips. distance back is about 150-180 back. I've had good luck using #5 shad raps along the weedlines but this only seems to work before sunup. For a while thunderstick came out with a whole new lure shape and I picked up a dozen or more,don't waste your money. The old pattern is the one that works. They started producing the old style again and I've seen then now again at Mill's and Gander-Good Luck

Bird dog, it sounds as though we have the same pattern going. That's pretty darn cool.

I will report my results when I get back.