• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I rarely have any trouble cathcing trout on Bad Medicine. Two weekends ago the Mayflies were thick and the trout we're top feeding all over the place. Caught fish long-lining although I usually down rig for them.

It's swimming season now though.

hondemon:
hey. have you ever used a fly rod out there? i'm just learning how to cast, and heard it's best to learn on a lake (less tangles...). also, which area (general) on the lake do you speak of? thanks for any tips.
-perch.

Smoked perch, the fish that are feeding are high in the water column this time of year, especially during and right after the mayfly hatch. My magic water depth has always been 60 feet on bad medicine. Around the islands is usually productive. fly fishing can be a lot of fun out there.

I agree with the 60 feet target. I'm on the south end of the lake so that's where I tend to fish. Most folks appear to try the area right out in front of High Pines resort so I avoid that... I just troll around all the shorelines in 60ft.

Didn't fish much over the 4th but caught a real nice 20 incher.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a fantastic trip on Bad Medicine....thanks for the information gentlemen...60 feet was the key...we caught ten nice 'bows....largest pushed 19".....seems like the middle of the day is better than early morning....is this often the case?

• 1 month later...

Any one been out on Bad Medicine lately? I think I'm going to try it for my first time when I'm up bear hunting. Any tips for a first timer on the lake?

The trout has been kinda slow lately. Must be the chilly wheather? I'd down rig 32 ft down in 60 ft of water or bobber fish off High Pines resort with the others.

I did catch a mamouth 22 incher a couple of weeks ago. It peeeled line which is unusual for me. Did three runs and jumps within eyesight. Looked like a dolphin as it stuggled downward then breached 3ft in the air. Pretty awesome. Only fish I caught all morning though.

Plan on taken Dad (from Indiana) to Bad Medicine this coming weekend (Aug. 27-29). Never fished the lake before so any advice would be great. We fish walleye, trout and musky so let me know if there's any news on those fish...thanks for your help!