• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys, I'm taking my kids to Itasca camping next week, and meeting the in-laws from IL there. They're looking to me be be guide. I'd guess bluegills would be plentiful, but anyone have suggestions for walleyes on Itasca next week? Evening bite? Any info will be appreciated.

------------------

Just came back from a few days at the park. The walleyes biting on nightcrawlers on spinners trolling 8-15ft. If you want pike try larger crank baits in perch color. hope this helps?

There's an island and a bunch of weeds to the left of the boat landing by the rental shack. Work around the island and the weed bed with a jig and minnow.

Thanks, guys. We concentrated on panfishing with the kids. Several successive cold fronts this past week seemed to slow the walleye fishing. I didn't see anything coming in but panfish and small largemouths. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading up to Itasca in a week and was wondering how the fishing has been of late.Any tips on bait and depth of walleyes and panfish would be appreciated.

adaylate,

This report is more than a day late, but panfish were plentiful in about 6' and in the weeds - on waxies, pieces of crawler, and leeches. Type of live bait didn't seem to matter, but a red bead just above the hook seemed to attract more & larger fish. We did well around the island, but some of our party caught panfish at same depth in the east arm/west shore. When we were there, the bait shop folks suggested looking for walleyes at 12-14' mornings and evenings. But that was the week of June 21-26. Hope this helps.

Thanks liljoe,
I will have to give the red bead trick a try.Fishing in the weeds has usually produced for us as well in the past years.