• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am looking at saying on the lake in late July. What is the water clarity like and does it get algae blooms?

Having my son along, what is the lake like for crappie and sunnies?

Is this a good bass or pike lake?

water is very clear... about 6-7 foot secci disk. there are great crappies and sunnies in the lake, not "boat loads" of them, but great size when you find them... also quite a lot of eating size pike (1 1/2 to 3 pounds) the pike just can't resist a spinnerbait... and a fantastic bass population... i don't think there is a problem with alge.. any other questions let me know... i have fished it since the early 80's ... i'm not an expert but have spent a lot of time on the lake..

andy

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

Are the panfish still in the spawn or are they finishing up!!?? Heading up on Sat for a week cabin deal.

crappie getter,

i havn't been up since memorial day weekend.. i would guess they are about finished...

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

sami0115

Got the dates set and we are coming up the last week in July. Will you be back up before then. I was hoping I might be able to touch base with you and get some current information.

Thank you

Hey, anyone been catching walleyes on Potato? I will be heading up there tomorrow in search of ol' marble eyes, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eli

Justfishing...

i was on Potato last weekend (June 17 to 20) and will be up there on 4th of July weekend (July 1 to 4) and will be up there July 15 to 18 and also July 31 thru Aug 8.

the sunnies and rock bass were on beds as well as some straggler LM & SM bass.. caught a 5 lb largemouth on a scum frog!!

what dates are you going?

andy

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

Sammi

I will camping at Bayside July 24-28. It is myself and my 11 year old son, he is realy looking forward to it. Then we are staying in a hotel in Park Rapids for a couple of nights leaving Saturday the 30th. Thought we might try another lake or 2.

I am envious of all the fishing you get to do in such a great area. Please keep us posted to the fishing conditions.

Justfishing

[This message has been edited by Justfishing (edited 06-24-2004).]

Justfishing...

that weekend that i am coming the end of July is my 20th high school reunion... seems like just yesterday that i was tearing up the water on Potato during the summers chasing girls at the resorts... i have a 6 year old daughter who likes to fish off the dock for sunnies and perch... right now she gets bored too fast... hopefully that will change... i hope you guys have a great time when you are up there..

my family has a log home on the north side of the west arm of Potato... the west arm is by far the best part of the lake in my opinion... better weeds for largemouth... however the sunken islands on the main part of the lake can produce fantastic smallies during the summer... you guys should really give the bass a try while you are up there.. get on the water by 6 a.m. and start chuckin' spinnerbaits and buzzbaits into the bullrushes on the west arm for largemouth bass... you will probably catch a lot of pike as well...also try "scum" baits in the pad and bullrushes for some fantastic topwater action...just remember to used tough and heavy line to prevent the bass from taking you down into the weeds.. (its like they know that if they can make it down into the weeds they can get loose)... then you can spend the afternoon chasing crappies or sunnies... and then finish off the evening (if the lake is calm) on the rock piles in front of the "condos" (west side of main body) chasing smallies... crank baits up to the edge of the piles or try "pop-r's" or some other top water like a zara spook.. also white flukes work well on the rockpiles.. just stay as far away from the rocks as possible so that you don't spook them...whatever you do have fun!

let me know if you have any other questions..

andy

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

• 4 weeks later...

Could someone look at my post titled potato lake, User name wdgold, and tell me what you think it's to long to rewrite. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

I read a fishing report a couple of days ago for the Park Rapids area and it said the best walleye bite was on potato lake. Biting on nightcrawlers in 21' of water. Anyone know where on the lake that might be.

• 3 weeks later...

Justfishing:

so how was the week with your son on Potato? did you manage to fill the boat with fish. i hope you guys has a fun time.

andy

Sami

We got up there on Sunday the 25th. Fished that afternoon evening caught a few LM along the northwest arm.

Monday weather was nice fished the northweset arm again for LM. Tried the rock piles in the evening without success.

Tuesday it was windy and the white caps were starting to form so we went over to Little Mantrap, smaller more protected lake.

Wednesday it was cold and rainy did not go out in the morning. Afternoon and evening we looked for Crappie without much luck. Tried the rock piles by the condos again did not catch any SM but my son was catching a bunch of what I assume where rock bass, he was having fun so I just stayed there while he fished.

Thursday we packed up all our camping stuff so the morning was shot. Went to Elk Lake and tried to catch Muskies.....a few follows and a a few strikes by small fish. Just 1 20" pike was all we got.

We had a lot of fun and didnt spend as much time fishing as I thought we would. Only Sunday and Monday were warm enough to swim.
Lows were in the low 50's, a little cold for camping, IMO. Never wore jackets fishing in July before.

I guess I need a lesson in SM fishing. Overall we had a great time and liked Potato Lake. Never did go down to the south end, wish we would have explored it.

Boy this is a weird weather year. I dont know what your temps are but yesterday it was 64 and 52 in Omaha, a record tying low.

Thanks for all your help and if I new how I would post a few pictures.

[This message has been edited by Justfishing (edited 08-12-2004).]

Justfishin-
I hear ya on the weather. We were up the same week and if it wasn't raining, the wind was howling. Both the weekends were pretty nice (7/24 and 7/31) but the weekdays pretty much sucked especially for swimming.
I did manage to find some nice crappies and gills on Eagle. I also did pretty well with the Smallies on Potato early on the morning of Sat. 31st using topwater lures. That was the only time that I made it to Potato. I did keep my eyes peeled for a boat with a bobber painted on it. I guess you were gone by then. Maybe next year.
later,
Nels

Nels

Nels

The game plan was to camp sunday-wednesday nights at Bayside Resort on Potato Lake. Thursday and Friday we were to stay in a hotel but ended up leaving on Friday.

What resort did you stay at. We did a quick drive through Eagle Beach resort. Looked very nice.

Thursday we fished Elk Lake at Itasca State Park for muskies. Wanted to try Big Mantrap but left as the weather was so cool. My son was in a sweatshirt most of the time. It was a little cold sleeping in a tent. I am not a cool/cold weather guy. Since we were up late at night the cold made it doubly hard to get out of a nice warm sleeping bag.

Does anyone know how to post pictures.

i sounds like you guys had a fun time! too bad the weather didn't cooperate. crappy weather really seems to affect the fishing. i was up from Aug 1 to Aug 7. and was on the water by 5:45 am at the latest every day of the week. i fished at least 8 hrs/ day and didn't do real well either. the fish seem to be in the deep weeds or suspended, which really makes it tough. i tried some Caroina rigs and swimming jigs thru the cabbage but had no luck. the little bit of success that i did have was with top waters (early in the day before 7 am), jig-n-pigs and big tubes in the bullrushes and lilly pads. i managed one 4 lb largemouth. most of the others were between 1 lb and 2 1/4.
i went to Leech lake on Tues. (hired a guide). that has got to be one of the best bass lakes in the state. no one fishes it for bass. they are huge and in the shallow junk all day. lots of Jig-n-pigs and texas rigged worms. we fished for 10 hours (1.5 hrs for muskies) and landed over 30 bass (smallest was 2 1/2 lbs and biggest was over 4 lbs) had another 15 fish atleast that were on and shook off. if you are up in the area next summer i would highly recommend going to Leech and fish.

it has been a bizzare year for weather here (Winona, MN). yesterday we had a golf tourney at our country club and the temps were in the low to mid 50's. with the rain and wind it really made it tough. i heard it was in the 30's for a low in Park Rapids.

if you ever make it to Winona look me up. i own the Tires Plus store in town. there is some great fishing on the Mississippi. i live "a good 8 iron" from the boat landing.

to post pictures you should set up an account with Shutterfly (no cost involved) and then i think i can tell you how to do it.

andy

Hey Sami,
What was the guides name who took you out on Leech and do you have his number?

his name is Dan Craven. i can't seem to find his number. if you call any of the bait/tackle shops in Walker they should have it. if you don't have any luck let me know and i will look a little more.

Sami

Can I ask how much the guide trip cost and what part off Leech Lake you were on. Never been there but know its big.

Also, curious as to what the Mississippi is like near where your live. The Missiouri flows next to Omaha but it has been channeled. so it deep with a fast moving current. Also it is like chocolate milk. Not much for fishing.

Sami

Do you fish the Missippi. I recently heard there is a stretch of the Missiouri near Yankton that runs clear and has a good smallmouth population. Going to look into it and see if its worth the drive.

Looking for any pointers on how to fish a clear river. Lures, how to present, where to look, etc.

a friend and i were out from 7am to 4 pm and fished the entire time. the cost was $275. we had a great time and learned a lot, so we each gave him $160. he got a nice tip and we had a great time. you definately have to give it a shot next time you are up.

andy

the Mississippi moves fairly fast. i think the regular flow rate in the summer is around 30,000. there are a lot of back waters to fish and also wingdams. great for bass fishing. also a lot of wallys are caught.