• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going to be staying at Big Timber Lodge from 6/25/04 to 6/27/04. Having never fished the lake before, am look to take the kids panfishing and doing some walleye fishing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello Chasin eyes,

If you remember...

I will be staying at Big Timber 7/19-24. If you find some good panfish spots while you are there, any feedback would be appreciated.

I will be there with my family, and would love to get into some action for my two children.

Good luck

Hello,

I have fished 3rd Crow Wing before. I found pretty good success with the sunfish and crappies. The fish weren't huge, but very eatable. Just take a look at the map and you should be able to identify some good spots to fish. I would also ask at the resort. I will tell about one spot that can be easily located however. Go up the river towards 4th Crow Wing. Just after you round the first bend you will notcie a dock off to your left. If you anchor a little bit out from the dock and throw a bobber with a small piece of worm up next to the dock you should catch some fish. When I was there last August we caught alot of bluegills a few crappies and a walleye or two while fishing righjt there in the river. Hopefully you will have better luck with the eyes than I did. It was the middle of August and they refused to bite while I was there.

winterse

[This message has been edited by winterse (edited 06-22-2004).]

Fathead.
Just got back from the lake. The walleye fishing was slow and small sized. We did get into some sunfish. We caught them on wax worms. When you leave the resort, head towards the 87 bridge and when the lake narrows, fish just to the east of the south point along the reeds and lily pads.

Good Luck!!

Chasin-eyes,

Thank you for the report and info. I will be up on the lake July 17-24. Hopefully we will have nice weather and good fishing.

I will be doing most of my walleye fishing in the morning and evenings. During the day we will be looking for panfish to keep my 3 and 5 year olds busy!

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

I've fished CW3 a few times before...Been going every year for almost 20 years now (stay at Big Timber, formerly Shamrock Shores). Personally, never had luck with Walleye, though I've never really tried too hard. I'm more of a Bass Man and occassionally fish sunnies and crappies. Found there are always a few sunnies and crappies off the rice in the middle of the lake. Find the weed edge near where it drops off to deeper water and there are both Crappies and Bluegill hanging out.

CW4 is also good for Northern and Sunnies. Sunnies are on the rice edge (basically around the whole lake). Not always the biggest, but you can sort through to find some worth keeping. Fished on an ultra lite or cane pole they're still fun to catch, especially for kids.

There are several spots on CW2 for crappies, check the map or ask around, but they're always people fishing there...

I'll be up there 7/24-7/30. With the water up hopefully the bite is as good as it was last year...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a week of fishing on Crow Wing 3. While the Bass bite wasn't as Hot as I'd hoped, luckily, the Bluegill and Crappies were biting. Drop a line in the water and you'd find nice sized bluegills. Crappies were a bit more elusive, but once located, were a blast to catch. The only bad thing was sorting through the smaller fish to find fish worth keeping. Many times the line wouldn't/couldn't get down to the depth required without a small one grabbing it. But on an ultra lite, even they can be fun.