• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bait for Big Mantrap Lake?

Hi, I am from Boston and am coming out to fish Big Mantrap this summer. I am so excited!! I have heard chunks of SPAM work well for Northern Pike and Muskie. Will 6lb test work OK on my Zebco for these fish? Thanks - can't wait!

A heavy rod with a bait caster spooled with 20# or heavier line would be a good combination to consider. The Zebco with 6# line would be a poor choice. If you want to troll or cast, buy any of the large stick baits or spinner baits (bionic bucktails work well). If you want to try a bobber, large minnow works well also. Steel leaders are a must!!!!
Sod

Sod,

I'm thinking Dave might have been pulling our leg on this one. I might be wrong, though.

-Scott

It did look suspcious, but I was giving him the bennefit of the doubt. There are people out there who just don't know, but want to get started.
Sod

I don't know how or what dave fishes for in "Weymouth Great Pond,Great Pond Res, or Whitmans Pond" but I'd have to agree with Sod that fishing MN is a new game to Dave. I.E.:
DaveTV
FishingMN.com Family

THX - but "Texas, wacky, Carolina, drop-shotting"- I have no clue what you mean! I meant how do you rig them with hook, etc - treble, whatever - I have no clue
[This message has been edited by DaveTV (edited 03-09-2004).]
DaveTV
FishingMN.com Family

THX--Having the hook tip buried like that does not hamper the hooking of the fish?
DaveTV
FishingMN.com Family

Where am I from? Where we win SUPER BOWLS, not where we choke to the Arizona Cardinals...
[This message has been edited by DaveTV (edited 03-11-2004).]

So I'd recommend instead of buying new tackle replace your 6# line with 10-15 #, a steel leader, a decent size float, a big sucker minnow, and fish where the resort or bait shop owner tells you. P.S. I cut my SPAM in to fluke shaped pieces.

I come from the flounder capital of the world! Bottom feeders with small mouth you use special hooks with seaworm and lie it right on the bottom. So this SPAM thing was a joke ya think? Don't they actually make SPAM in Minnesota?

Dave-

I'm just giving you a hard time in good fun. Glad to have you aboard and hope that you enjoy your trip to PR! They way my fishing skills are, I might do just as well with Spam.

-Scott

I Have a Cabin on the Big Bay of the Lake. Dave if you want I'll take you out Fishing. You can use spam if you want. But Big minnows and beer work the best for fishing. I talked to my dad Last night and the northers,and bass are bite like mad. When are you coming out? You can stay with my famliy if you would like. The Cabin is very big. We Will only charge you for Food and the Booze you drink. Let me know

Thanks for the offer! I have a place already reserved. I gotta figure out the fishing tho, I found some great sites to tell me how to catch Pike and Muskie..What is a good local beer? I have heard a lot of good things about "Grain Belt" and "Pigs Eye"..

[This message has been edited by DaveTV (edited 07-08-2004).]

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm home. And there ain't a friggyn THING in that lake but lil perch, rock bass and sunnies. Pitiful. This "Muskie" thing is nothing more than a rumor perpetrated by the Park Rapids chamber of commerce. They run mechanical remote-control Muskies around the lake kinda like the loch-ness monster to bring city-folk up there to get wet, eaten by bugs and frozen to death trying to catch 'em. The only decent thing was the Headwaters Golf Course. And all the blond chicks. And everyone talks like that movie "Fargo" LOL

[This message has been edited by DaveTV (edited 07-08-2004).]