• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Eagle Lake/Where to fish??

Hi i'm going to being staying on Eagle Lake in a couple of weeks and was wandering where to fish for walleyes and crappies?? I have 2 younger daughters so there patient level isn't very long, so I thought pan fish for them and walleyes for me!! I've never fished Eagle before and I'm only there for a week, so any help locating fish right away would be helpful. Thanks for your time!!

Thanks guys I appreciated you help!! Lord knows it gives a person ideas and the kids will have fun!! That's whats its all about anyway the kids as along as ther having fun!! We're staying at Eagle Beach also the end of June. This will be my first time at this resort so hopefully if the weather holds out we'll have tons of fun. Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens after or little vacation.

Are you staying at a resort, if so, which one?
Unfortunately by the time you get there, the crappie and walleye bite will take place mostly in the evening and early morning.
For crappies I would suggest the bay by the public landing and for walleyes, try any of the points and the inlet and also near the outlet. I've also heard that they catch a few around the sunken island straight out from the campground.
There are a ton of small northerns in the lake if you want some action during the day just troll or cast the weedlines.
I have 2 small children that don't mind what they catch as long as they are catching fish. So I take them to the hole at the outlet with some angle worms and they catch and release a ton of small sunfish as well as a variety of other species.
The sandbar at the inlet is a great place to take the boat and due some wading. Sometimes the sand is above the water otherwise it is only ankle deep. The kids will have fun. Don't forget the fishing rods though, we've caught a variety of fish just hanging around the sandbar.
I'll be up at Eagle Bay Resort the end of July. Can't wait!
Good luck, please post a report when you get back.

Nels

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Partimer, my family will be staying at Eagle Beach the last week of June so maybe we can compare notes. We're in Otter cabin, so stop and say hi.

Hogfisher, I'm going to shoot you an email also to get any tips you can give. Fishing is sort of secondary for the week, but would love to put the kids on some fish.

• 3 weeks later...

So how were your vacation's on Eagle Lake? I am going up there on Saturday, and was wondering how the fishing was? This will be my first time at Eagle Beach, and I hope to get my son on some decent fish. Was the water level high enough to get over to potato lake also? I was thinking of going for some smallies over there if I can. Thanks for any info.

Lance

I didn't fish as much as I'd like, but the week was great. The weather was pretty good except for Friday. The water temp was 65 on Saturday, and warmed to 70 during the week.

I only fished Walleye a little, and caught a couple of small one's right in front of the cabins in 14'. The inlet produced some bass and a sucker, but I only fished there once. Didn't really fish crappie, but one guy did and would get them in the evening in the bay to the west of the resort. Northern's provided plenty of action. I usually cast a spinnerbait into the weed edge and would do very well. We just had too many things to do -- skiing, tubing, etc. to do a lot of fishing.

Not sure about getting to Potato. I'm pretty sure you can if your boat isn't too big. There were lots of boats that went down there. Most used a trolling motor or paddled. We took a kayak down to Potato and the water was pretty low. The lake is also down, unless they get a lot of rain this week.

Thanks MRBig. I have an 18' Tuffy. I will check out the passage to Potato, as I saw a post about some good smallie fishing over there. Otherwise I will play with the pike, and my 8 year old should have a good time with them.

Lance

you should be able to get thru the channel. just till the motor up and have someone in front to watch for rocks. it really shouldn't be to bad. when fishing the smallies, make sure you are making long casts. if you can see them, they can see you. so keep your distance. they will also be hammerin' topwaters by now. find the rock piles near the condos (there is some great cabbage weed on all sides of them), or on the east side of the main body there are some great dropoffs with cabbage weed on the edges. (also a great spawning area)(this is where i caught most of my fish last weekend) and finally at the far south end of the lake you will find good dropoffs with spawning areas nearby and a good ammount of cabbage. try topwaters over the cabbage or senkos in the stuff. enjoy

p.s. there is a great largemouth population as well, but to find them you will have to work the west arm in the bullrushes or lillypads early in the a.m. or cabbage during the day...

I will raise the motor, and go through with the bow mount. I will probably check out Eagle on Saturday, and Sunday, and then check out Potato during the week.

Lance