• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Straight Lake Walleyes

I have stayed at the same resort on straight lake for 9 years and will be going there again the third week of June. I have had a little success with walleyes but would like to improve to moderate success. I think one of the things I need to do better is not fish crawlers as much being they invite too many panfish. I think shiners on a jig might be a better option. Anyone else have any suggestions on how I might improve my walleye bite?

erik,

I haven't fished Straight for many years but, I did have very good luck when I did. Here's a couple of places I did well. On the western shoreline there are several points that stick out, the one that worked the best for me, was the most prominent point also there is a bay just south of that point that has a flat that we did well on. We did our best using slip bobbers and leeches, we fished in 12-14 ft. of water, hope that helps.

Ole

------------------
Olson Insurance Agency
[email protected]
952-224-4774

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 05-20-2004).]

Ole, thanks for the response. I can't wait for the 3rd week of June! I have been going to the same resort for 9 years and I get excited like a little kid every year. Thanks again and best of luck to you and your fishing adventures. I will let you know if any of the old spots still have a few fish sitting in it.

erik,
If you are mobile when you are at Straight, there are a couple of good lakes just down the road from you. Toad Lake is to the west of Straight, it used to have a good Crappie population some in the 1-2# range, of course that may have changed, and Walleye, it's a pretty clear lake so low light conditions are best. Another lake is Bass (I think that's the name) it's north of Osage a mile or so. We used to go there early in the morning on real calm days and pitch floating Rapala's and other plugs for bass, lots of fun nothing huge, maybe 2-3# but alot of fun watching them bust the water clobbering those plugs.

Have fun, let me know how it goes.

Ole

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ole. I was going to give Toad a run last year but just didn't make it happen. We typically give Bad Medicine a try for Rainbows and generally do very well. I just can't get over the fact that I have never done very well for Walleyes on Straight and I am going to find them someday. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

wells:
hey. i think the bass lake ole is referring to is a mile north of snellman on 39. i pulled a 31" pike out of there on saturday. he's still in there if your interested. also some bass and pannies in there.
as for straight, yeah shiners would be a good bet. also troll in 13-20 ft with deep running shad raps.
i will stop by and drink a few of your beers and wet a line with ya if your interested. email me at deckfeather at hotmail dot com.
by the way, i'm the guy that had a death grip on that pike that had you finger hooked back in '82. ha haa. i know you remember that one.

Smkedperch, hmm?? Guy that held fish while it was hooked and was also hooked in my hand?? Things are getting clearer now. I have you narrowed down to 1 of 5 of my fishing partners now. Hey I bet you used to go to hawk creek and ride your bike 5 miles to catch 2-5 inch perch at Eagle lake. Yeah getting together would be cool. I have been going to Breezy Point on straight lake since 1996 (my honeymoon). I now have an army of relatives that come up for that same week (sperate cabins). I am married with a 1 1/2 year old boy.

I suppose I caatch up with you when I talk with you being most probably don't find my family history very interseting. We should get out fishing being we haven't fished together for 15-18 or so years. I don't think I can get an email to a hotmail account but I will try. If it rejects I will use my powerful Willmar Public Schools Education to getb ahold of you.

Smoked perch,

You're right, now that you mention it it was Snellman.

IS the Northern Inn still there? We used to put in there and hit their bar and another one just down the street, it's been a long time since I've been there. Just wondering if these places are still open?

Ole

yeah, i've definitely put in my time down at hawk creek. carp, bullheads, and the occasional pike. and don't forget fly hunting in your basement. good times.
you can give me a call when you get up here. just ask for my # at osage bait n tackle. they know me too well down there...
ole- yeah the northern inn is still there. with the same owner (i forget his name). i've done some ice fishing on toad, with little luck. a few small crappies, but skunked a time or two.
-perch.

Sorry, Smoked perch I shut down my computer Friday morning and never looked back. I sure can understand why you live there. My wife anfd IU are already talking about coming back up yet this summer. I guess we will see. She went and got pregnant again so the moods really change like our weather. Give me a call work 952-914-4057 home 763-441-9089. We had some good fishing for everyting we targeted. Unfortunately I was unable to nail down the walleyes until Thursday. Had to really search to find then concentrated anywhere but I found them (biggest was 21 inches). The northerns were catchable too (biggest 24 inches). The panfish were scattered and I found the big bulls in 16 feet?? Oh well. I wish I would have asked for your number at the OBT! ISorry man. I think I have been on auto pilot here recently with all the stuff going on at home and work. Surprised I don't forget how to get to work some days. Maybe if we come back this summer we can get together. If you are ever in the Elk River area let me know. Visitors always welcome.