• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which lake is a better opener lake and what are some of the better spots to try on the opener, also night vs. Day fishing
Is there only one public access on Little Sand, the one I was at only had space for 1 truck and trailer?
Thanks

Neither??

I guess I would suggest Potato. There are lots of area lakes that would produce better than these two. These are much better come late May to early June. Some others to look at are Island, Bottle, Stony, some of the Crow Wing chain can be awesome. Lake George.

I would not, and will not fish Big Sand til June 1. I know a tournament fisherman who has a place on Big Sand, and he doesn't touch his lake til atleast a week after open...usually he hits it Memorial Day weekend.

Spots...If you got some wind, which we usually do, I would hit any of the wind blown points...in the 8-20 FOW range. If by chance you aren't finding fish, I would slide to near the bottoms of the break lines. I have found that often times the males will be sitting off the breaks in deeper water recooperating from the spawn. Jigs and shinners fished vertical and slow is usually the ticket.

Another idea is to hit windblown pencil reeds. IF that area is hard bottom which it should, walleyes will stack up in there from time to time to feed on minnows and small perch.

Cranks can be effective if trolled slow....like 1mph or less. Casting and slow retrieve can be a better idea.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 05-07-2004).]

i would suggest Big Sand... because then i would be 1 boat closer to having Potato all to myself ... HA HA HA

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

See you on Tater Sami. You can have half and I'll take the other.

see you there... you'll recognize my boat as the one riding a little lower in the water... (all the big fish in the livewell).....

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

Sami, do you have a place on the Tater? I'm on the north end, near Bayside. Stop by and toast the opener with us if you wish. Think 70's and wind smile.gif

north side of Tater also, but in the west arm... just as you come into the west arm from the main body you will see a "log" boat house.... i am actually a Bass fisherman but will try suffer thru Wally fishing yet again (it's just too boring)... i will probably spend a bit of time casting big plugs for Northerns...

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

• 3 weeks later...

Heading up to the cabin on Eagle this weekend and if its not lightning and raining too hard, I will hopefully get over to Potato. We managed 4 eyes on Sun morning of opener weekend and I'm hoping the bite is a little better now. Has anyone fished Potato recently? With this cool rainy weather we've been getting I doubt the water temps have gone up much since then.
Oh well, no matter how the fishing is, it will still be better than work! I'll post my results on Tues.

Nels

Hammer:

I'm trying to learn George for eyes. I fished it opener and it was (of course) miserable, but I plan to hit it this weekend. I'm not looking for secret info but it sounds like maybe you could give me a few general tips on approaches. It seemed everyone was fishing the sunken island or camp courage shoreline. Any tips would be appreciated.

LA

I fished potato memorial day weekend and we didnt have much luck with the weather. The best place to fish there was on the northwest side of the west arm.We were hittin the eyes a little shallower than usually<in 12-17 ft of water>

Lake Alice,

Probably a little to late, but.

I actually haven't dropped a line in Lake George. I've driven by it plenty and know it's a good walleye lake, but somewhat tough. Lots of forage.

My suggestions?
Start on the major point of the west shore. Work the northern half of the point and tip. Lindy's and a leech have been good for me, and in the next few weeks shinners picking up since they are running.

There is also the saddle area between the island and the point. (20 feet of water) This is another good spot to attack.

There is a point on the NE side of the lake. Again, work the tip of this one.

Also, there is a nice shallow flat on the south shore. Looks like a good place to trol some raps at night or at dusk.

Again, I haven't fished this lake, but if I was to fish it...that's my advice! Likely need to fish the weeds also!

Sat. morning fished the west arm of Potato and caught 9 walleyes for 3 guys and released 5 because they were too small. All on leeches in about 15'. On Sat. and Sun. evening stayed in Eagle lake and it was slow but did manage 5 eyes and kept 2 again in 15'. Monday morning back out on Potato but caught nothing but rock bass. It was wet and windy all weekend.
We tried for crappies in the shallows on Eagle but caught zelch. My guess is that they will move in this weekend if they get some sunshine this week.

Nels

Hammer

Thanks, my boy and I fished the NE point and saddle monday morning. The weather was pretty bad. We hit everywhere from 5-20 feet with shiners. Two pike and a bass.

We're going to keep trying. Thanks again for the info.

LA

Will be up to the cabin fishing this week on potato. And was just wondering about the fishing. Is anybody getting any eyes and what depth and presentation is working the best. Thanks warrior