• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gilby - when and how long ?

gilby -

How long have you been staying at the Owl's Nest? And, when do you go? I wonder if we've met? (I'm one of the Hortin clan).

I grew up on a farm in Southern Illinois and we started going to 5th Crow Wing in 1956 or 1957 (can't remember exactly), the first year that John and Ann Davis had the resort. It wasn't the Owl's Nest then - it was called Fran-Rick's. Kris was eleven (I believe) when the Lewis' bought the resort from John Davis . We started going the last week of July and slowly shifted to mid-August. Now, I go whenever I can.

This year, I'll be at the Owl's Nest from June 5-19.

captain, we have been going up to owlsnest for six or seven years now, we are always up there in july, The week of the 10-17. I try to get up as much as possible, but not always owlsnest. I like the crow wing chain so I try to fish some of the other lakes also. We"ll be going to owlsnest for a long time. The peace and quiet and just 5 cabins are really nice. We are in cabin 5.The fishing was very good when we were up last year too. gilby

Gilby...You say the fishing was real good. Just curious what lake you are speaking of and what you were catching?

fifth and sixth crow wing, bass in the mornings and crappies and walleyes at night

It is nice to hear some conversation about 5th and 6th. We purchased a lot on 6th a short time ago. I am still have much to learn about fishing these two lakes, but am eager to learn from people who have a history there. If you are interested in chatting before or while you are up for your vacations drop me a message at [email protected]. I'd be interested to hear about your experiences on the lakes and certainly willing to share anything that I have learned over the course of the summer. We plan on being there as often as we can.

KJA

• 3 weeks later...

I keep hearing so much about 5 and 6th Crow Wing. Can anyone tell me about 7th? Is it any good?

My family always vactationed at Owl's Nest from about 87' to 93'. They went back last year for the first time, and while they were up there they bought a place.

Best I can remember Crow Wing 5 fishing was best on the north side of the lake. Almost dead center there is an 'island'; basically reeds sticking up from the water. Right off that island was always a good crappie area.

Caught a pretty good Northern one year about that area trolling with a spoon. Never had much luck in 6 with the Walleyes, but know a guy who did.

Best of luck to you.

Mike