• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FISH HOOK LAKE TOURNAMENT

Park Rapids Forum-
I am a first time angler in the Fish Hook lake tournament and would like some ideas to abide by for the event. I know there's a website(http://www.parkrapidscvb.com/html/Event%20Pages/derby.html) and what the prizes are, yet are there any good spots to try, or any bad spots to be? I have fished the brainerd tournament three years, so I know how sickening the crowds can get, but I can't help myself from having a good time. Any ideas would be a plus. Thanks,

Wal~Lee

A lot of the people stake out their places when the gates open, 10;30 or 11:00 AM.

The parking, most of the people have to park in a field and ride school buses to the lake.

I always tried to get to the outside of the fishing area, but never caught anything to win a prize.

Good luck and bring different kinds of bait, you never know, even the biggest crappie wins a nice prize.

chart1444-
I have tried to use a flasher at the brainerd tourney and have had little performance due to the high amount of interfearnace. In the past have you seen many flashers? And I am not talking about the Janet Jackson style either. Or should I just leave mine at home and use the trusty weight bomb?

I seen a lot of people use them.

Myself, I still fish the old fashioned way.

With that many people most of the time it's just luck you catch a fish, but who knows, your first time might be the charm.

I use my vex,. I was skunked last year but managed 5th in the rock bass category and 9th in the crappie category the year before.

Chart1444,
It definately is by luck if you catch anything of size at the torney! Fished the torney three years ago, got there right at 1pm, a guy pulled up a nice pike the next row over, practically in the middle of the crowd. That's about as close as I got to catching a fish at any tournament! When I looked down the hole I could see weeds at about 4ft and bottom at about 10ft.

If a person wanted to better his/her odds of catching something where would you suggest they go??

Thanks for the insight!!

Did you have any luck in the tourney?

I had to go to lovely Grand Forks on Thursday to visit the grand kids.

I caught a small snake that didn't place, for people all around me were catching them. My Dad caught a 3.84 pound walleye to win second place for a $1,000.00 dollars. He was happy yet it was bitter sweet because the guy in first place won a 4 wheeler, and the guy in third place won $500.00 cash and a polaris ranger 4 wheeler with a box on it.(grand prize) I think that they need to restructure the catergories and eliminate the perch or rock bass and create a walleye catergory since a .60 pound perch won more than a 3.84 pound eye. The snakes were a dime a dozen, so why lump them in with bass and eyes? I had a great time and the tourney was way less stressfull than the Brainerd tourney.

Thanks Park Rapids!