• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lakes turning over?????????

Help me with a simple question. I understand how and why the lakes turn over, but I don't know how or if it affects the fishing. Is anyone willing to share some knowlege on this?

When the lakes turn over it is cause of the air temp. when the water on the top cools off and gets colder than the water on the bottom it sinks and the water on the bottom comes to the top. when the warmer water on the bottom comes up it brings the fish with it, and they realize that it is time to put on the feed bags before winter hits. the reason the fish come up with the warm water is becuase they are cold blooded and are looking for warmer water to feed in. so if you are gonna fish go shallow!

Sod Farmer,

When the lake turns over, all the deep water turns over to the surface and the surface water goes deep. Basically, the deep O2 less water comes shallow and causes plankton to follow the O2 deep, which inturn brings the minnows and than the bigger fish. After turnover fish will generally go deep. Not necessarily for long though...depending on the lake and how much wind it gets. Wind bring waves and O2 replenishment especially on the windward shore lines....so these areas can be good a few days after turn over. So, all in all, the fish can be anywhere after turnover. Makes it a bit difficult to target fish! Your best bet during turnover times is to avoid deep narrow basin lakes for awile and hit the bigger, shallower more wind swept lakes. I would suggest Leech, Belle Taine, Island, Big Toad, ect.

Good luck. Last time out I got fish really shallow during the day....windy, but 10-12 feet with a jig and minnow!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 10-21-2003).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      Saw on MPR that this year had been even warmer than 2012.  If this weather pattern continues, Lake V will be ice out before the March 28th date from 2012. 
    • Dash 1
      Awesome fish. Way to go.
    • gimruis
      That is a true giant slab around here.
    • chucker1101
      I did a lot of crappie fishing in 2012.   I'd say April 1 is a conservative guess. March 25 seems doable. Depends on the rain and the wind in March. 
    • CigarGuy
      Do you park at The Landing or have someplace closer? That would be a hall from The Landing!
    • SkunkedAgain
      I hate to start this thread early, but this ice doesn't have much of a chance this season. It's about half as thick as it should be, there is no snow cover to protect it from the March sun, and it continues to be abnormally warm. Let's hear those ice-out predictions.   I expect the smaller bays to be open by the last weekend of March with the main lake soon after, likely prior to April 1st. Earliest ice-out on record is March 28th, 2012.   On the plus side, the spawn be done long before fishing opener. Combine the reduced walleye harvest with the longer growing season, and this should translate into a better walleye class for the lake.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I walked into my place late Friday night. It was beautiful - a full moon, no snow and single digits so the lake was making all kinds of noise, wolves howling, and the kicker.....no wind. The only difficult component to walking was the ATV and snowmobile impressions left in the ice. Every once in a while my foot would catch a rise in the ice and I would stumble and almost fall. Besides that, it was a perfect night. Unfortunately I had a schedule to keep, otherwise I would have started a midnight bonfire to stay out and enjoy the evening even longer.
    • Mike89
    • Kettle
      Maybe a replica but it's still swimming 
    • smurfy
      So is it going on the wall??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.