• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello:
I will be staying on Big Sand next week 8/16 - 8/23. Has anybody been catching any walleyes? I am new to the lake, so any information on where to start would be great!

First ask locals for where they have been biting.
Second, figure out the depth they have been getting them at.

Then BELIEVE in your electronics!

The mid lake submerged islands are a great place to start your search. The saddles in between these can hold fish.

I fished Big Sand for the first time last September. This is how I found them walleyes.
IN September they were in 24-28 feet of water. Not sure where they are now.

The lake is very clear. I had best luck with wind on the lake. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt the walleyes will be shallow at all except in low light. Don't be afraid to go deep!

I am heading there next month, so I want you to give a full report upon your return!lol

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim:
Thanks greatly for the info, I will be sure to give a report when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim:
Fishing was pretty tough on Big Sand during the past week. I ended up with 9 walleyes, 5-24", 23,22,18,15. I found the big fish off of the humps in 30'-35'. It seemed that the humps with some weeds were better. I founf sand grass out to 32' in some spots. The two keeper walleyes came out of shallow water, one on a shad rap in 8' and the other on top of a hump in 17'. Caught fish on both crawlers and redtails.

Good Luck

E Martin,

Thanks for the shout back! Was there a time of day that provided "better" action? Also, could you give me a little more on your trolling? Long lining?

Sounds like you had a few rod benders!!

ANy smallies?

Thanks again!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 08-25-2003).]

Jim:
The trolling was pretty much unproductive...only one fish but any way, I was running #5 shad raps, with "20 passes" of fireline out of my baitcaster. I am guessing thats about 125-150 feet. I fished from ~5:30 am - 9:00 am and 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm. I caught most of the fish in the morning before the sun came up. I probably caught 6 smallies, my daughter caught the biggest at about 3 1/2 lbs. Also caught a quite a few largemouth. We found the smallies in the celery weeds on the north side of the lake, 5'-7' of water.