• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has any one been fishing this lake will be up to cabin next week. i will be fishing for walleyes. What other area lakes are producing. It seems that all potato has to offer anymore are snake and a small mouth

Fishing was not bad caught all of our walleyes pulling cranks in 35' to 45' of water. However the fish were suspended 10' off of the bottom. Best bite for us was mid afternoon. Could not seem to find them any shallower that that. 14 to 22 inches were the range of fish. We were using deep diving cranks with lead core line.

Good luck and let me know if you have any luck. corn

Thanks for the report corn. I'm heading up to Eagle Lake on the 26th and plan on fishing Potato at least once while I'm there.
What color cranks worked the best if you don't mind my asking?
I will post a report here when I get back.

Nels

Nels,
The colors that worked for us the best were a fire tiger color (perch) and your standard deep running shad rap. Good luck I will be up the last week of september or first week of October. Corn

• 3 weeks later...

I fished Potato one evening. Did not have lead core so I used a 2oz. in line sinker about 7' in front of the shad rap, but no luck. I did mark some fish about 20' down off of one of the humps so I tried a lindy rig, still nothing. I managed to catch a few SM bass the next day on the humps with a jig and twister tail. Eagle lake was nicer to me with 5 walleyes and some nice crappies.
Nels

• 3 weeks later...

I have a place on Potato and too have discovered the deep water crankbait bite. I have not tried leadcore, but will be. Thanks for the tip!

lilwater,

I just got back from Potato and loved it!!! (first time on the lake). We stayed at northern pine lodge. My dad and I are going back up the end of sept. (26th-29th). What resort would you suggest!? Some of the ones I looked at are closed by then.
I have fished many lakes and I really fell in love with Potato last week!!

crappie getter,

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

LILWALTER,

Where did I get Lilwater from!!?? Sorry about the name screw up. I guess that bloody mary was a little stronger than I thought!!!

crappie getter,

Crappiegetter-
I take it that you caught fish. How about a report? I was on Eagle last weekend and did poorly. Never made it to Potato.
Nels

Had to work my a** of to catch fish but they were all nice fish 3 pound smallies, 2-3 pound walleyes and some 5-6 pound largemouth. Most people were fishing deep for walleyes they didn't really seem to be connecting of them. The were catching some smallies (and eating them it brought tears to my eyes) though. The fish I maily caught was during the late evening and early morn. Throwing cranks in 4-8' water on the flats and sunkin islands. Great lake to fish nice structure.

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

Corn,
Allready made res. at papoose (sp?) resort.
Thanks for the info though. If anyone going to be up there Fri Sept 26-29 look us up on the lake or at that resort! I'll be in a lund with a 115 yamaha this time.

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

Crappie getter,

I'll be up that weekend too. I'll be in a Yar-Craft Storm. Look forward to meeting you. Potato was great for crappies this spring and I'm guessing this fall should be good too. (I'm assuming with your handle you have some interest.) See you on the water!

lilwalter,

Where's your place at west arm,east arm,or main lake. We see you up there! My main gig in the summer is bass smallmouth before largemouth. I do love to fish for crappies though usually winter and spring. I would love to catch some slabs in the fall though!! I'm usually up on Red in Feb/March. I don't get to much time to explore during the summer I guide on the St. Croix river and I'm usually to busy to check out otherstuff!

crappie getter,
------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

[This message has been edited by crappie getter (edited 08-30-2003).]

I'm in the east arm just off the main--northshore. We lease a cabin from May to Oct. Been there five years now. Love the area too--retirement is only 12 years away!

We'll be on the look out for you. We'll buy the first round!
Is there any place to go to watch vikings on sunday on the lake??(bar,resort)

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

The Pines used to have a nice big screen and decent bloody mary's but I'm pretty sure they're closed. You can get the game on 92.1 FM or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

lilwalter are you still going to be on potato this weekend? We are going up early friday morn until monday night. We'll be in a lund with a yamaha 115. Anyone else out on the lake come over for a chat on the fishing or a beer! We are staying at the papoose bay lodge on the south side of the east arm.

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River