• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If anyone caught a 40 inch class Muskie on Mantrap Early Saturday it was dead and floating on the NE side of the main lake basin...

It was a very healthy looking fish, it did not appear to be diseased in any way, and I am no expert but I don't think it had been dead for very long.

Had some hook marks in the snout, I can only speculate as to why it is dead, but perhaps whomever caught it will know...

JWB475,
We fished Mantrap on Sat. as well, didn't see much of anything dead or alive. Can somebody please explain to me why Mantrap muskies supposedly don't like topwater baits?

Sad to hear that happen. The person or persons that did that need a bit of schooling up on how to handle them big fish.
My clad of fisherman have never killed a muskie or big pike ever. We stay with them until that fish motors off under it own power. I seen my clad work a muskie 45 min to revive it before letting it swim off. Shame on those who killed that fish. shocked.gif I'm no animal rights love, but I am a card carying PETA member, People Eating Tasty Animals. Let's be careful out there.

------------------
Need trout or pike flies!
[email protected]
And good luck out there!

hammerhandle what are you throwing bricks?? Top water is great on mantrap but not til later in the season usually. Last fall we boated 4 fish from 3-7 pm all top water all successful releases 38" 40" 44" 491/2". Watch the moon in the fall if you have to take off work I would reccomend it. Well worth it. Keep the raid movin. Good luck

Rippinlips,
That's good to hear. That Minnesota musky book says there isn't much of a topwater bite and we have never had any luck throwing topwaters out there. 1 on top is better than 5 down below!

Hammerhandle

With the full moon this weekend and the water warming they should be going on top, eh? The only fish I've moved out there have been on bulldawgs and the shallow invader.

I have three 48 inch muskies in the boat from Mantrap, 2 came on topwater...

1 ate a Topraider, the other a Thunderhead..

They are the only 2 on topwater from Mantrap, but if they continue to be that big I will be happy.

Moved 2 mid 40 inch fish on topwater last Saturday in Mantrap...