• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi,
I am looking for Walleye fishing information for Big Sand. I will be up June 14-21. When is the best time to fish that lake, What is the best bait and technique. Where on the lake are good Walleye spots

Any info would be much appreciated.
Sea Nymph

I've been fishing the area including Big Sand for many years. I personally have never had any luck or anything to make me want to fish that lake again. I probably won't until I hear better news. I think it is a tough lake to fish. If you do find fish you can catch them but that is not easy. Good Luck.....There are many lakes in the area that produce some great walleye fishing. Potato, Long, The whole Crow Wing chain to name a few. A great area all around. Tim

you may want to try little sand, smaller easier to target fish, we had so so luck on opener but all nice fish, wind not a real factor on the lake. I'm heading up on Sunday to see how the their biting.....

All of you who said that Big Sand is to hard to fish and not a good lake to fish just don't want Sea Nymph to have any luck. Sea Nymph all you need is a good lake map. This lake is filled with structure. There are humps, flats, and steep drops. Find some structure and fish it by either jigging or trolling. Don't be surprised to hook on to a few 22"-24" eyes.

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-02-2003).]

I think the key word in that last p[ost was a "few" nice fish. Sure you'll get that but if you want more than a few good luck.

Sea nymph you have picked a great area. Don't get discouraged by some of these posts big sand is excellent and your timing should be right on. You can get from little sand to big sand by boat just remember the slot limit so you dont have any fish w/you if you go by boat. The evening bite is best. Try cool ridge or the flat straight north of there. Don't be afraid to pull bigger crankbaits. Most of the time leeches are the best I would use crawlers at the time your there but who knows. Little sand can be good also it is very clear though early morning and night are your best bets. Good luck

Nymph,

I fished Big Sand for the first time last September. I found the key ingredient for fishing these walleyes was depth.

Once you found what depth they were active at you'd get hit on a fairly consistent basis. Not gangbusters, but action enought to keep a guy interested!

Don't be shy to ask others out and about what depth they have been catching in. That's all you'll need. Then it's up to you in catching, using the right bait/presentation!!

I know in Sept, the majic depth was 28 feet on Big Sand. So find that magic depth and have fun!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

• 2 weeks later...

It's Hot! Between 14 guys fishin last weekend - 28.5",27",three 25",four 24", and a couple dozon between 19 and 23". One 17" and a 9". Not much to eat, but great fun. Walleye aint no thing. And some say it's hard to fish. Magic depth - 22'

Go get em

• 2 weeks later...